So I'm following Morkin's method for creating a starter. I put a cup of crushed pale malt into a jar with a cup of 130 degree water and covered it with foil. The idea being to leave it for a week and I'd have a lacto starter. After 4 days I checked it, and there appears to be a bit of gray mold growing on the top. I'm assuming this is a bad thing, and I'll need to scrap it and start over. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That said, how would you keep mold from popping up over a week?
I know you can do the starter in a day if you use a heating pad or something to keep it around 100, but I don't have one of those right now so I thought I'd try this method. Any input/suggestions would be appreciated.