Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort Chiller

Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
LarrySteeze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort Chiller

Hello!

So I'm looking at switching to a full boil before I switch to all-grain, and I realize to do this, I need a wort chiller. I'd like one anyway because I don't always seem to cold-crash it well enough with cold water when I do a half-boil.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a wort chiller. I've noticed a lot of different types of immersion chillers (immersion is what I'd like at this point), but can't tell if there's really any true benefit to the longer tubing, at least for 5 gallon batches. I'm also on a budget, so there's that as well.

And in case anyone is wondering, I *have* used the search function (quite a bit actually, which is why this is only my second post on the site).

Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

It's all about heat exchange so get the longest one you can afford. You can make your own from 3/8" copper tubing from HD or Lowes if you're a DIY kinda guy.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Mase
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check out ebay. Got a 25ft one with hoses and hose adapter for about $53. Totally worth the investment when my LHBS was charging $80 for 20 ft.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
LarrySteeze
Recipes 

I am the DIY kind of guy, but I live in an apartment, and thus do not have the right tools to build one. That being said, I may be able to rent the tools, but it may not pay off in the end.

I'll look into the DIY avenue though, as my father-in-law does have a lot of tools. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
newbiegirl33
Recipes 

I went to home depot and they had everything i needed(tubing, pipe, hose claps, and attachment for sink) . Super easy to make. Only needed my hands and screw driver for the clamps.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought one from NYBrew for $37. It is 25' 1/4 copper and comes with to tubing and adapter. I have a friend who has been brewing a while and said he tested a 1/4" and a 3/8", both 25', side by side and the 1/4" cooled the wort faster.

I just got it and haven't tested it yet, so...
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
MotorcycleMatt
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You really don't need any tools to make an immersion chiller, I wrapped mine around a paint can to get nice even tight coils

Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
atom
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 34

check amazon...25' go for around $50 shipped, 50' are about $80. i opted for a 50'.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
iv_hokie12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Length isn't necessarily better, but you want the most surface area you can get. Personally I would rather have a shorter chiller with a wide diameter to promote more surface area and higher flow. I have used two friends wort chillers where one has a wide tube and one has a narrow tube and the difference is unbelievable. This is also one of the easiest homebrew DIY projects too if you know how to use the clamps as that is all you need. And lets face it, clamps aren't that difficult.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
castlefreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Agreed on the DIY aspect of this. I bought 25' of copper tubing, hose clamps, plastic tubing (it doesn't even need to be food grade since you're just transferring water that will be discarded), a fitting to attach it to my kitchen faucet, and a hose bending tool for the angles on the in/out ends of the copper (optional). Wrapped it around a corny keg (or use a cylindrical object of similar diameter) and then all you need is a screwdriver to tighten the hose clamps. So easy!