Strawberry Jalapeno Wine - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Strawberry Jalapeno Wine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
nahk
 
nahk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Paris, Ontario
Posts: 41


Well I just put a 4 gallon batch of Strawberry Jalapeņo wine into primary... Should be quite interesting...

3lbs Jalapeņos - de-stemmed only, left vein ad seeds for heat
3.5lbs fresh strawberries
2lbs golden raisins - simmered to soften
3.5kg dextrose (corn sugar)
Water to 4 gal
3tsp pectic enzyme
6tsp acid blend
2x packs of Lavlin EC-1118

S.G. : 1.120

Hoping to finish dry at 0.990 and get about 17-18% ABV

Wish me luck

Will be more of a cooking wine then a sipping, but ya never know

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
nahk
 
nahk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Paris, Ontario
Posts: 41

Any input or suggestions? Has anyone else done anything like this? I made a straight jalapeņo wine that turned out great... This strawberry jalapeņo could be interesting (read pain in ass) due to complexity of acids on strawberry. Here's hoping

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
pizzaisgood
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
hennessey, oklahoma
Posts: 51
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nahk
Any input or suggestions? Has anyone else done anything like this? I made a straight jalapeņo wine that turned out great... This strawberry jalapeņo could be interesting (read pain in ass) due to complexity of acids on strawberry. Here's hoping
Sounds interesting please keep us updated! And good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
brazedowl
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 866
Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts


Well... just thinking that dosn't sound like NEARLY enough strawberries... I do a strawberry watermelon with 10# of strawberries and 10# watermelon and it's hard to tell they're in there...
__________________
In Progress: Blueberry Wine (3 & 5 gallons)
In Progress: Blackberry Wine (5 Gallons)
In Progress: Cran-Grape Wine (5 Gallons)
______________________
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
nahk
 
nahk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Paris, Ontario
Posts: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl
Well... just thinking that dosn't sound like NEARLY enough strawberries... I do a strawberry watermelon with 10# of strawberries and 10# watermelon and it's hard to tell they're in there...
They smell really strong... I will have to watch it and maybe add more in secondary after I sample it...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
brazedowl
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 866
Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts


if it works it works! Keep us posted!
__________________
In Progress: Blueberry Wine (3 & 5 gallons)
In Progress: Blackberry Wine (5 Gallons)
In Progress: Cran-Grape Wine (5 Gallons)
______________________
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Hummer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Western Colorado
Posts: 55
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nahk View Post
Well I just put a 4 gallon batch of Strawberry Jalapeņo wine into primary... Should be quite interesting...

3lbs Jalapeņos - de-stemmed only, left vein ad seeds for heat
3.5lbs fresh strawberries
2lbs golden raisins - simmered to soften
3.5kg dextrose (corn sugar)
Water to 4 gal
3tsp pectic enzyme
6tsp acid blend
2x packs of Lavlin EC-1118

S.G. : 1.120

Hoping to finish dry at 0.990 and get about 17-18% ABV

Wish me luck

Will be more of a cooking wine then a sipping, but ya never know
That's going to be some seriously hot stuff! Uh, good luck!


I did a Jalapeņo Apple Peach wine that turned out nice. Just enough heat to give it bite and Jalapeņo flavor, but still has distinct apple and peach flavors.

About 3.5 gal. of must yielded 3 gallons net. I used:

10 medium Jalapeņos
2 gal. fresh peaches, halved
2.5 gal. fresh pressed apple juice
1 lb. golden raisins
1.5 lb. sugar

6 tsp. pectic enzyme
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1.5 tsp tannin
3 tsp acid blend
Lalvin K1-V1116
SG 1.090



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
nahk
 
nahk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Paris, Ontario
Posts: 41

I am going to have to try that... I did a straight jalapeņo wine and it was friggin amazing!!! Goes great with nachos.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
Skreagles
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
North Branch, MN
Posts: 3

Going to have to try the jalapeno apple peach... the wife has finally gotten into playing with brewing and she'll throw those scotch bonnet peppers in everything if I don't watch her so a spicy wine is perfect for her. Really curious how your strawberry jalapeno turns out since its high abv, strawberries, and hot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
nahk
 
nahk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Paris, Ontario
Posts: 41

Skreagles: I have a scotch bonnet pineapple chenin blanc on the go too... It's gonna be hot!

1 whole pineapple, 2 lbs scotch bonnets.

5 gal batch

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump