Infusion vs Step Mash - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Infusion vs Step Mash

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
rinhaak
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Boston, MA
Posts: 149



Not sure if this thread would be better in the "All Grain Mash" section, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the scientists amongst us.

I'm brewing an all-grain tripel this weekend. I've only brewed about 5 or 6 all grain beers so far (a recent convert from extract), so I'm still a novice. However, for all of my earlier beers, I used a step mash. In BLAM, however, Stan suggests using a single infusion mash at 146° for Belgian ales. Why? What would this do? What's the advantages either way?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 553 Times on 389 Posts


Mainly, fermentability of the wort. Belgians are typically quite dry.

Mashing lower favors beta amylase which favors maltose production, whereas mashing higher favors alpha amylase which makes more dextrins and longer-chain sugars that aren't as readily fermentable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
afr0byte
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Vermont
Posts: 1,451
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rinhaak View Post
Not sure if this thread would be better in the "All Grain Mash" section, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the scientists amongst us.

I'm brewing an all-grain tripel this weekend. I've only brewed about 5 or 6 all grain beers so far (a recent convert from extract), so I'm still a novice. However, for all of my earlier beers, I used a step mash. In BLAM, however, Stan suggests using a single infusion mash at 146° for Belgian ales. Why? What would this do? What's the advantages either way?
I don't believe he actually recommends that. If I remember correctly, he quotes someone stating that if you're doing a single infusion mash you should probably do it at 146 and not mash out at all. Anyways, the reason for the 146 temp is what Ty said.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
rinhaak
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Boston, MA
Posts: 149


On page 222, in the "What Works" section, he write: "Mash for attenuation. Use a single-infusion mash between 146 and 149° F or consider a step mash such as at Ommegang. However, remember there is a chance with highly modified malts that a step mash (the protein rest, specifically) may degrade proteins too much and can cause a loss of body and head. With beers that have some sugar in them, the danger is greater."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
afr0byte
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Vermont
Posts: 1,451
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rinhaak View Post
On page 222, in the "What Works" section, he write: "Mash for attenuation. Use a single-infusion mash between 146 and 149° F or consider a step mash such as at Ommegang. However, remember there is a chance with highly modified malts that a step mash (the protein rest, specifically) may degrade proteins too much and can cause a loss of body and head. With beers that have some sugar in them, the danger is greater."
First, a step mash doesn't have to include a protein rest. I don't know if Ommegang does one or not. However, he's not saying that you shouldn't do a step mash for a Belgian-style beer, he's just saying that if you do a single infusion mash it should be in the 146-149 range. Obviously Ommegang, who produce great Belgian beers, successfully do a step mash.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
rinhaak
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Boston, MA
Posts: 149


True enough (and I've only ever used step before). it seemed, though, that he was favoring single infusion.

Regardless, which method do you think would produce a better tripel? A single mash at 146°, or a step?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
afr0byte
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Vermont
Posts: 1,451
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rinhaak View Post
True enough (and I've only ever used step before). it seemed, though, that he was favoring single infusion.

Regardless, which method do you think would produce a better tripel? A single mash at 146°, or a step?
I can't really say, as I've always done single infusion mashes. If I remember BLAM correctly, the monks use a step mash, though.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Step mashing and pH question. a_potter Brew Science 6 06-04-2011 01:59 AM
Step of building my water/ph? HOPCousin Brew Science 13 01-29-2011 11:52 PM
Changing Ph during a step mash brad451 Brew Science 1 01-12-2010 05:59 PM
Step Mash Conversion Sixbillionethans Brew Science 0 08-25-2009 02:17 AM
Why does a mash tend to settle at or near the right pH for mash enzymes Kaiser Brew Science 10 05-20-2009 02:38 PM


Forum Jump