Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Things I don't like about iBrewMaster

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #31
LAKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just discovered that the iPad version and iPhone version of iBrewmaster is two different apps, and had to pay twice for it. That is LAME LAME LAME . Most respectable iOS apps are universal across iPad and iPhone. You buy once and you get it on all of your devices.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #32
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Capitalism at its worst. We're not talking about a 0.99 app here.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
Satisfaction
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

I use both Beersmith and iBrewmaster, after I figured out the nuances of iBrewmaster it is my go to software on my brew day.

Also the developer is extremely active and quick to respond to and inquiries. That is worth some of the cost of the software. The human element is rare.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #34
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick
Capitalism at its worst. We're not talking about a 0.99 app here.
Yep. The developer of iBrewmaster is smart. He knows we will pay high prices so he charges them.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #35
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Better than a $29.00 program, that was modified for the worse, no Mac version, doesn't sync to another device, and the only way to use it is to drag out a laptop. Clearly a much better choice!

One things for sure, can't pay enough to put up with the haters, whiners, cheap a$$ people that think they can do better!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
JimTheHick
Recipes 

I suppose if I were a pro or faux pro brewer then I'd consider a $30 purchase for one of these softwares. However, for brewing once a month, Hopville works great. I'm even considering donating a dollar. But not two. I'm frugal.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #37
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A pro wouldn't be brewing with an iPad I bet. Lol

I find the arguments about app costs so funny. Not just this app but basically any app that's not free. Ppl are funny.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #38
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus
A pro wouldn't be brewing with an iPad I bet. Lol

I find the arguments about app costs so funny. Not just this app but basically any app that's not free. Ppl are funny.
Good point about pro's on iPads! Sounds unlikely.

I disagree that cost is not a salient point of discussion when considering apps, however.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What's even more sure is that one can't pay enough to keep the fanboys at bay either. No matter what there are both sides and both lend to constructive discussion on both the pros and cons.

I think this discussion has great points on both sides; and iBrewmaster should take note of them, both for the good and bad.

I use both iBrewMaster and BrewSmith, like both for various reasons and definitely note the shortcomings of each.

but to remaining objective is key; I don't think anyone here is being a hater for hater's sake; you have to admit as far as iPad app prices go it's high. Especially since Apple doesn't refund money on purchases and iBrewmaster doesn't have a trial.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah, I guess I don't get as worked up about app prices as most seem to do. The economic realities of an app are such that even at $10 you get something reasonably polished with support and updates for life. It's cost is REALLY low. 2 micro drafts at the avg bar low.

It is unfortunate that ppl now expect the world on a platter for $0.99

You have to consider, if you are developing a mass market app that will be 500k downloads, then 99cents might do it. What's the potential audience size for a brewing app and what is the competition now and future? What are your costs, can you work on this app 40 hrs a week and make ends meet? I think I read somewhere that the initial projections for app sales of ibrewmaster were 22 downloads. What is your time worth? How many manhours would you be willing to out into a 0.99 home brewing app? Can you afford to work for free for the first 6 months?

In my experience, I tend to see higher app prices for self-published apps, those from software companies seem to have lower entry costs. Cost/value is a difficult thing to please everyone on... But I do think the general public is a bit spoiled/unrealistic in their expectations sometimes. You can do a lot of things with apps for free, personally I can't stand most of the free apps, i hate the in-app advertising, and I'm willing to pay $5 for a great weather app or whatever... It's a cup of coffee. A $10 app is a car wash and the car is dirty again a day later. I do know ppl who think $.99 is too much to pay.... Really? It's such a silly situation.

NewkyBrown Likes This