Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
So I just brewed this yesterday and it's happily fermenting. It's an original recipe I'm messing around with. I wanted to know what you guys thought, my LHBS complemented my grain bill, which was a first; and a nice little ego boost.

I don't know if this technically a "Robust Porter", but it's what I'm calling it.
Anyway, here it goes. I also do BIAB in a 6 gallon kettle so my batches end up usually coming out around 4 gallons.

Partial Mash Robust Porter
Original Gravity: 1.068-.1070
ABV: 8.09%
Boil Size: 5.5 gallons
Batch size: 4.5 gallons(topped off with .5 gallons water)

6lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt(51.9%)
1lb UK Crystal 60 malt(8.4%)
8oz Pale Chocolate Malt(4.2%)
8oz UK Brown Malt(4.2%)
4oz Honey Malt(2.1%)
4oz German Chocolate Wheat malt(4.2%)
4oz Belgian Biscuit (2.1%)
4oz Special B(2.1%)
2lbs Amber DME(16.7%)
8oz Crystal 15(4.2%)
1 Whirlfroc tab (10 minutes)

Safale S-04 yeast is what I used. Though I'm sure any English/Irish yeast will do, I use WP002 for my stouts and will probably try that next time.

I threw all my grains, milled, into a grain bag and mashed them for 1 hour with a consistent temperature of 156F, stirring every 15 minutes(I place my kettle in the oven at 170F during my mash to keep my temperature constant. I find that a temp as low as 170F has the ability to keep the kettle the as hot as I need it, while not having enough time to raise the temperature of the liquid/kettle). I than mashed out at 170F(ish) for ten minutes. Combined all collected liquid and brought it to a boil.

Hop Schedule:
.5oz Fuggle/.5oz Kent Goldings (60 min)
.5oz Fuggle/.5oz Kent Goldings (30 min)
.5oz Fuggle/.5oz Kent Goldings (15 min)
.5oz Fuggle (10 min)
.5oz Kent Golding (0 min)
1Whirlfroc Tab (10 min)
Estimated IBU: 49

(This is my first brew to use UK hops, in the future I may change that, if you would use different hops what would it be?)

I was shooting for a gravity of 1.066 and got 1.070. My ABV is 8%, so I may try to lower that in future batches. My Estimated FG is 1.025. I may add a sucrose syrup at high krausen for future batches to knock that down abit, while still retaining enough body.

Let me know what you guys think! I'd love to hear what you'd change around if you were to brew it, and will be posting pics throughout the process, especially once it's carbed/conditioned.

Cheers! :mug:

All that matters is how it tastes to you. You aren't brewing it for me or anyone else.

You've got quite a bit of specialty grains in there. Between the MO and the DME, that accounts for like 69%. It should be very flavorful with all three chocolate grains included.

Send me a bottle or two and I'll give you my thoughts.:mug:

Back