Electric vs Gas - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric vs Gas

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Annapolis, MD
Posts: 531
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts



So I am on the fence trying to decide to go electric or gas for my all grain system. I like the idea of no fumes to worry about going with electric but I have a few questions.....
1. For those of you out there using three heated kettles how much have you seen your electric bill go up?

2. How much longer does it take to get the wort or the HLT water up to temps? Does it take more time compared to when you use gas to get to a rolling boil for the wort?


Ok that should be a good starting point.....

Thanks in advance...

Brew-on



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WAORGANY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Northern NY, NY
Posts: 477
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
So I am on the fence trying to decide to go electric or gas for my all grain system. I like the idea of no fumes to worry about going with electric but I have a few questions.....
1. For those of you out there using three heated kettles how much have you seen your electric bill go up?

2. How much longer does it take to get the wort or the HLT water up to temps? Does it take more time compared to when you use gas to get to a rolling boil for the wort?


Ok that should be a good starting point.....

Thanks in advance...

Brew-on
Just do a search on HBT for these answers this horse has been beat to death...the bottom line is electric is way cheaper, and just as fast if not faster...I am still building my build but it is the way to go IMHO, I am sure others will chime in as well, good luck, all the best.


__________________
RLTW!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
TrainSafe
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Appleton, WI
Posts: 812
Liked 68 Times on 46 Posts


The best part is that you won't likely run out of electricity in the middle of a boil!

I figure that a 5 gallon batch costs me about a third of a propane tank, or close to $7. According to Kal at http://theelectricbrewery.com/ you should expect to use about $1-2 of electricity.

Kal lists these advantages, but there are more benefits than he has listed
Quote:
What are the benefits of brewing with electricity vs. gas?

There are many benefits to brewing with electricity vs. gas:
  • Easier precise control of temperature
  • Safer for indoor brewing (no poisonous gases, no emissions)
  • Absolutely silent (the bigger gas burners required for brewing sound like jet engines)
  • Much more efficient use of energy (our 5500W heating elements produce ~20,000 BTUs of heat and will outperform an 80,000 BTU propane burner)
  • No tanks to refill
  • Cheaper to run (use $1-2 in electricity instead of approximately half a tank of propane per batch)
We don't know of one brewer who, after switching to electric, wished they were still using gas.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Annapolis, MD
Posts: 531
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts


Thanks TrainSafe!
Have you always brewed electric or did you start out with gas? If so does the rolling boil take about the same amount of time? How about total system price? Does it run the same for a gas system?

Sorry if these have been answered somewhere else on HBT but if you can't ask a simple question here without having to search through tons of older post why bother being a member here......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
rhamilton
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,249
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts


If you have the existing wiring, or can afford an electrician, or a DIY electrician -- go electric.

Else stick to gas.
__________________
On Deck: Cornucopia Oktoberfest
Primary: Centennial Blonde v2, Ed Wort's Kolsch
Secondary: none
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Annapolis, MD
Posts: 531
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts


I was a Construction Electrician in the Navy so I can handle wiring the outlet. But even better I have a 220 outlet that can be easily swung down to the brew room.

The electrical is the easy part. What scares me would be drilling into some brand spanking new brew pot with a drill!

S

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
TrainSafe
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Appleton, WI
Posts: 812
Liked 68 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
Thanks TrainSafe!
Have you always brewed electric or did you start out with gas? If so does the rolling boil take about the same amount of time? How about total system price? Does it run the same for a gas system?

Sorry if these have been answered somewhere else on HBT but if you can't ask a simple question here without having to search through tons of older post why bother being a member here......
I am currently on gas. I use a turkey fryer stand, and it frustrates the heck out of me. I'm in the planning stages of my electric build. Hoping to start construction in the coming weeks.

From what I've seen, the times are roughly comparable. Hard to say precisely because there are a variety of gas burners and a selection of various wattage elements.

With respect to cost, that is the kicker. It depends on if you need to buy new pots, or are just modifying your existing pots. The build is expensive, but everyone who has undertaken it has been very satisfied.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Annapolis, MD
Posts: 531
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts


Getting back into brewing after ten years, two moves from Vermont to Colorado and then finally here in North Carolina. In the process of those moves all the brewing gear is gone (long story). So I will be getting everything new!

Just ordered a Rebel Mill grain crusher and next will be a trip to the LHBS to get the carboys,bottles etc. Guess one piece at a time......

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Buffalo, NY
Posts: 988
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
I was a Construction Electrician in the Navy so I can handle wiring the outlet. But even better I have a 220 outlet that can be easily swung down to the brew room.

The electrical is the easy part. What scares me would be drilling into some brand spanking new brew pot with a drill!

S
PM me if you'd be interested in a greenlee punch to make the element holes. You cover postage both ways.

Mike
__________________
You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Annapolis, MD
Posts: 531
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts


Thanks Mike!! I have access to a Greenlee set but the offer is awesome!

I have been looking over the Electric Brewery site and it seems simple to add the element hole, its just getting over that initial thought of just spending a bunch on three Blichmann pots...... Do they seal up without any leak issues? How easy is it to clean up after brewing? I am imaging the underside of the element must be a pain to get clean but then maybe it's a newbie thing.....


Thanks again
S



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want a electric set up Cwetherford Electric Brewing 9 07-12-2011 06:46 PM
looking at using electric, I could use a lot of help. killian Electric Brewing 21 07-08-2011 07:53 PM
How Much Electric mykayel Electric Brewing 5 06-28-2011 11:29 PM
Electric vs. Gas finger123 Electric Brewing 7 04-10-2011 03:48 PM
Electric HLT Keg drunkenmonkeybrewing Electric Brewing 7 04-05-2011 08:06 PM


Forum Jump