Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Keezer with Tower mounted on top, ?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
agentEhrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Keezer with Tower mounted on top, ?

Can I make my keezer with a tower installed in the top through the door? I would like to do this, but it seems like every picture and tutorial i find involves making a "collar."

I would prefer to keep this easy, and have the look of the tall tower without building the top up with wood or anything else. Most of the "collar" style keezers I have found here have the tap handles on the front. I think I will like the height much better if I install a tower on the top of the door. This also makes the drip try pretty much no effort.

I'm trying to make sure that there isn't a specific reason why nobody else is building theirs this way. As far as other plans, I am just going to purchase the johnson controls thermostat override here -->http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CONT , and hopefully use existing air and tubing from my current picnic tap setup. I am trying to find a black chest freezer big enough to hold 3 cornies plus gas, but I may settle for white to keep the cost down.

Can an expert either confirm or deny my idea to drill through the top/door and install a 3 faucet tower?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I guess that one obvious disadvantage would be that I couldn't get the door opened up all the way if it was pushed back against a wall... :/

Old 03-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
GlenF
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-co...-tower-190347/

Simple fix is to put it perpendicular to the wall, like I did.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

is the beer going to pour warm through the tower? I mean, is there enough in the lines to effect the temp enough to notice in a full beer?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Plenty of people have put towers or coffin boxes on top of their keezers. If you look through the "show us your kegerator" thread you'll find plenty of examples.

You can either put the keezer on casters or orient it like GlenF did to be able to open it easily. I made a pass through tower for the top of my keezer, but I also made a tall collar. One of the reasons you see so many collars is that it allows kegs to be placed on the compressor hump, increasing the capacity. Without the collar my freezer could only hold 2 corny kegs, but with the collar it holds 4.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentEhrman View Post
is the beer going to pour warm through the tower? I mean, is there enough in the lines to effect the temp enough to notice in a full beer?
If you don't do something the cool the tower the first pour of the day will be foamy. A muffin fan to circulate air or some copper pipe are fairly simple and easy ways to keep the tower cool.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
GlenF
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As you can see in the thread I linked, I put a copper pipe into the tower. It pulls the cold air up into the insulated tower. I have few problems with excessive foaming or warm beers.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
tommybjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3292630098.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	53184

Yes, yes you can. I don't have problem with foamy beer.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
If you don't do something the cool the tower the first pour of the day will be foamy. A muffin fan to circulate air or some copper pipe are fairly simple and easy ways to keep the tower cool.
I may get this thing built correctly the first time with advice like that, thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenF View Post
As you can see in the thread I linked, I put a copper pipe into the tower. It pulls the cold air up into the insulated tower. I have few problems with excessive foaming or warm beers.

The towers I'm looking at are 3'' in diameter, would 2.5" copper tubing fit inside, and allow all lines to pass through?