Well, I gave it a rip this weekend. A fine day. Some notes to help out any other newbies to this recipe or to decoction.
6 lbs. 2 row (brewers malt)
4 lbs. American white wheat
.5 carapils (8 lovibond)
3 oz Saaz (3.5 % AA)
1 oz Cascade (5.5% AA)
Strike water original recipe called for 136 for a target rest at 133 for 15 mins) - I think the 136 was a typo - went to 146...nailed it. (10 gal. round cooler mash tun).
First Decoction, Original recipe called for pulling 3 qts, again, I think typo and qts. should be gallons and somewhat thick mash. Boil for up to 10 mins and add back to reach target temp of 155. Rest for 60 mins.
Second Decoction, pull 1 gallon bring to boil, return to reach target temp of 168 for 15 mins. (1 gallon aint enough - pull approx. 2).
I stirred (there is lots of stirring in I started the fly sparge. about 2/3rds of the way done, the runoff was frightenly clear. I stopped and stirred it up some more, vorloufed and continued.
The preboil volume (about 6.5) measured 1.052 (refractometer), boiled down to 1.058 in an hour...this is a long brew session - I was good with the 1058. (added 1 oz Saaz at 30 and 15 and got an ounce left with an ounce of Cascade to dry hop).
Pitched my Bells yeast reharvest. Check out the protein layer on top of the grist in the mash tun after draining...