Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Low Gravity Brewers Unite!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Genjin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Low Gravity Brewers Unite!

It seems like every craft and home brewer is trying to outdo the rest in terms of IBUs, malt and hop character, and abv. I don't know if it is just a backlash against this, but I find myself drawn toward subtle, balanced, low gravity beers. I love hop aroma and all the different types of malt out there, but I don't need to be blasted with a fire hose of hop oil to enjoy it.

It sometimes feels like I am all alone, but there must be others like me out there, right? And while we low-ballers are here, any good recipe recommendations? I am brewing the CYBI Eagle Rock Solidarity Clone and a English mild next. I am looking to brew something like an American mild, with maybe some Cascade aroma.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjin
It seems like every craft and home brewer is trying to outdo the rest in terms of IBUs, malt and hop character, and abv. I don't know if it is just a backlash against this, but I find myself drawn toward ENGLISH beers. I love hop aroma and all the different types of malt out there, but I don't need to be blasted with a fire hose of hop oil to enjoy it.
Edited it for you.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Dr. Francois
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't remember the last time I broke 1.050 OG except as gift batches for friends.

Check out my proposal for an expedited way to find session beer recipes on this forum. I think it is in the website issues section. I will try to update with a link later...I'm on my phone right now.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
beerhound28
Recipes 

i dont like LG beers..i like to be drunk..i would rather 6 HG beers rather then 25 LG ones..but enjoy cheers

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
iv_hokie12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I break 1.050 often, but I've never gone beyond 1.060.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc103 View Post
I can't remember the last time I broke 1.050 OG except as gift batches for friends.

Check out my proposal for an expedited way to find session beer recipes on this forum. I think it is in the website issues section. I will try to update with a link later...I'm on my phone right now.
I think this is a good idea.. I'm all about the session beers. The best part about having draft beer is being able to have a few after work without being passed out on the couch within an hour. It's not that i don't like higher gravity styles, but it seems to be almost all that is available in craft beer today (with seasonals to blame somewhat.)

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
IffyG
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ View Post
I think this is a good idea.. I'm all about the session beers. The best part about having draft beer is being able to have a few after work without being passed out on the couch within an hour.
Agreed completely. I really enjoy drinking beer, but don't enjoy being drunk. There is something to be said for a nice low gravity session beer that can be enjoyed all night while still being able to be productive (a necessity for a grad student in the middle of writing...).

Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am with you I hate when I want to relex and get a beer that is so bitter it's not enjoyable. I do drink a few IPA now and then but usually only one or two they tend to have an effect on my stomach the next day if I drink too many. I don't mind HG beers but the over hoppiness of some is just too much.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Session beers have their place...like being boiled down and added to the wort of my double IPA with a pound of hops mwahahahaha!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 845 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I too hover around 1.050 for the majority of my beers. I very rarely break 1.060. I don't like being drunk and hate being hungover, so keeping in the 4.7-5.2% range is my sweet spot. I like to be able to have 2-3 on a work night with no problem.