It ended up being a very nice beer. One of the best I've brewed to date, though I'm not sure it would come anywhere near the BJCP guidelines for a Kolsch. I brewed this on 4/6 and I still have a few bottles around. It has a dominant German hop profile with just enough crisp maltiness to back it up. I ended up brewing with 4 lbs German Pilsner, 2 lbs German Kolsch, and 1 lb white wheat as I discovered Kolsch isn't usually used as a base malt as far as I know. I also slightly changed my hop schedule to:
60 min: 1 oz Hallertau, 1 oz Saaz
15 min: 0.5 oz Saaz, 0.5 oz Tettnanger
5 min: 0.5 oz Saaz, 0.5 oz Tettnanger
I missed my estimated OG and ended up with .055 and a final of .010. I would also say that the SRM is more like 10 or 11L, but it's still a fantastic beer.
What I would do differently if (and when) I brew this again:
1. Change my 3 lbs DME to 6 lbs LME and add it as a late addition. I added my DME 1.5 lbs at 60 mins and 1.5 lbs at 15 mins, which I assume would account for the slightly darker color. If I brewed again I would add more extract at about 15 mins to keep it lighter and add more malt to balance the hops.
2. I would probably go for the higher IBUs and add more hops. I would also probably even dry hop it with 1 or 2 ounces.
I wanted to create something like a noble-hop IPA with the body of a Kolsch, while still having enough malt to balance the hops. I believe I achieved that with this batch, but I'd like to bump it up for the next one and see how much hoppier I can make it (I love my hops