Blonde Ale Amarillo Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody used East Kent Goldings for bittering and Amarillo for flavor or aroma?

For me EKG is very smooth as a bittering hop. I might give this recipe a try using EKG and Amarillo.

East Kent Goldings, sounds interesting. Let me know if you try it.

I brewed this Thurs. Starting to get the hang of this AG thing. 6.5 gal collected, with 1.037 pre-boil gravity, 60 mi. Boil, got 1.044 OG with 5.5 gal in the fermenter. 73.45% brewbouse efficiency. I'm happy with that.
Ended up using1oz Mag um hops at 60 min. .25 oz Amarillo @ 20, .25 @ 10 and .5 @5, trying to get it a bit hoppy. used US-05. Was bubbling quite nicely by Sat morning. Loved the color of this. Was my first Blonde brew.

I'm glad people are still using this recipe as a base for their own ideas. The EKG sounds interesting, not something I would have ever tried. Let us know how this turns out. Rambuck, that sounds like it's going to come out nicely.

KG7HSZ

I just brewed an all grain / biab version of this last night. It tasted great! The honey malt adds that sweetness that I was looking for.

8lbs great western 2 row
1lb crystal 10L
8oz honey malt
.8 oz magnum @ 60
.6 oz citra @ 20
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5
.5 oz sweet orange peel @ 10
Whirlfloc tab @ 10
2x 1056 yeast ( I didn't have time for a starter - spur of the moment beer week batch!)

Ended up with 1.046 gravity reading.

I'll probably dry hop with .5 oz Amarillo. The magnum here was a great choice for the first addition but I might dial it back a bit. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Still being a NOOB, bear with me. I just checked the FG and it is at 1.005. Whoah. This is with both Hydrometer and Refractometer. With OG of 1.044, that puts me at over 5% ABV. Usually US-05 cleans up well, but I stil have thick krausen. I'm going to cold crash this for a few days and see if it settles. Not sure I want the FG to get much lower?
Anywho, man, the sample tastes AWESOME. The hops really shine thru. I'd say "citrisy" for lack of a better word. Not too bitter at all, at least for me. Not sure if it was the Magnum hops or the Amarillo late additions?
I am thinking this will be my new house brew. Can't wait to get this kegged up.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. I was planning on ordering a pound of Amarillo tomorrow but had no idea what to brew with it beyond a pale ale.

I'm also glad people had success with honey malt. I have 8 ounces sitting around waiting to be used up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How did this turn out with the Citra?

I liked it, way more citrusy [surprise surprise] than the amarillo one, though the amarillo were a bit old. Will certainly try it again with fresh ones. Actually my favourite was the "dregs" bottle I did with about a 50/50 mix of the two beers!

MikeB I used Pacific Jade for bittering as I have a small bag I've been trying to use up and don't see why I should waste my good aroma hops on bittering. My palate isn't refined enough to notice the difference, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

making the switch from 1 gal BIAB to 5 gal BIAB and this looks like a great simple recipe to start with! perfect.

i substituted in some Honey Malt instead of 2-row and man, did this come out great. very good light beer. very drinkable

Back