Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lavender

Old 03-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Colorowdy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default Lavender

I am thinking about making a lavender pale ale. My question to all you good people is, how to sterize it? Also should I put in my boil or dry hop it? Thanks virtual friends.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1653 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

OOOH.....good question. Subscribed.

Soaked in vodka is the usual answer, but let's see.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
two_hearted
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Good info of quantities and styles here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lavender-138711/

Here too: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lave...-i-know-55896/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaastel View Post
I've done a number of follow-up experiments with lavender in an attempt to improve/perfect it.
1) Added 2 tbs culinary lavender to previously described wheat recipe at beginning of boil, end of boil, or in secondary. Of 11 tasters, end of boil got the highest score, but they were all similar. The secondary definitely had a greater lavender aroma and flavour. The beginning of boil was almost invisible, and the end of boil had a very slight aroma and flavour.
2) Added 1, 2, or 4 tbs culinary lavender to the secondary of the above wheat recipe. The 2 tbs got the highest score here. The 1 was present but subtle. The 4 was quite strong- many thought overpowering, but my wife was happy with it.
3) All-grain stout (3# 2-row, 1# choc malt, 0.5# dark crystal, 0.25# each roasted barley and red wheat, mash 160 x60min, 0.5 oz Fuggles at 60 and 30 min, Yeast S-04) with 0, 2, or 4 tbs lavender added to secondary. The 2 tbs got the highest score and was _really_ interesting. The stout and lavender flavours worked quite well.

Summary: I plan to use 2 tbs in the secondary in the future. Planning to do the wheat and the stout with that amount of lavender as well as some lactose, since I think a little sweetness with the lavender would be fabulous.
Talk about alcohol soak and boiling here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/addi...r-beer-176363/

There seems to be no tried and true method, but also no reports of issues when just adding to secondary. I would add at 5 min in boil and in secondary.
Lavender_Pepper Likes This 
Old 03-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
thedasha
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

just brewed a lavender wheat.... was going to add lavender during boil, but my friend suggested throwing it in the mash, so we did....it smelled amazing with some honey malt...i can't wait to see how it come out

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you can would you please post a picture of the lavender wheat? And the recipe

Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lavender in beer sounds sexy, but it can taste and smell like you dropped a bar of Grandma's old fashioned soap in the boil. Try a bottle of The Bruery's Orchard White to see if lavender in beer is right for you.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
bailiff48
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed a sour cherry lavender Saison a couple of months ago. Put the lavender in the last 5 min. It took some time for everything to blend together, but ended up turning out great.
yewtah-brewha Likes This 
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff48 View Post
Put the lavender in the last 5 min.
This is what I was thinking of doing with 1 oz of culinary lavender (the stuff I use when I roast a leg of lamb). How much did you use?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
bailiff48
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used 7 tablespoons for 5 gallons. Did some tests and didn't have a scale around, so I used tablespoons! It's quite a bit for most beers, but the sour cherries had a pretty strong flavor, so I wanted a nice intense smell as well. As I mentioned, it has taken awhile for everything to blend, but after about a month and a half in bottles things are coming together nicely!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I made a lavender chamomile belgian table beer last summer, I used a .5 ounces chamomile flowers and culinary lavender @5 mins and wanted a bit more lavender flavor so I made a couple cups of a lavender tea with .25 ounces lavender and added that at bottling. now after ~ 8 months in bottles I'm really happy with the complexity of the flavors as they blend, but it took a bit of waiting.