Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Ann Arbor, Michigan

Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
66sled
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ann Arbor, Michigan

I will be spending next weekend in Ann Arbor, MI and was looking for some good bars and restaurant. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can't go wrong with Jolly Pumpkin. Where else can you get Bam Biere on tap.

Ashleys is a must. Huge selection.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
wSelwyn
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 on the Jolly Pumpkin.

I enjoy stopping by Grizzley Peak now and then. I don't know what they have on tap right now, but I usually just stop by to have a specialty/seasonal brew.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
forstmeister
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wSelwyn
+1 on the Jolly Pumpkin.

I enjoy stopping by Grizzley Peak now and then. I don't know what they have on tap right now, but I usually just stop by to have a specialty/seasonal brew.
I recently heard that JP owned or had some stake in grizzly peak as well as others in MI.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1458 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Not a bar, but if you're a foodie, go to Zingermann's.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3632 Times on 2470 Posts
Likes Given: 2419

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister View Post
I recently heard that JP owned or had some stake in grizzly peak as well as others in MI.
I heard it was a wife and husband team. Technically the same company, but owned by two people due to state laws.

And FWIW I'm not a big fan of JP beers. They are well known and well liked, but they don't make the kinds of beers I prefer.

I DID get good beers at Arbor Brewing though, just down the street. There are a few nice places in the area for sure.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
forstmeister
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal

I heard it was a wife and husband team. Technically the same company, but owned by two people due to state laws.

And FWIW I'm not a big fan of JP beers. They are well known and well liked, but they don't make the kinds of beers I prefer.

I DID get good beers at Arbor Brewing though, just down the street. There are a few nice places in the area for sure.
I have said it in other threads, but I dont care for JP either. Their specialties just dont do it for me. I understand why others like them, but its just not my style. I highly recommend the brewpub to people because they have a nice place.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just visited the Ann Arbor JP Cafe on a Michigan trip to visit family. The cafe is nice, located right on the main drag in AA (Main St). They have a few JP brews on tap if you like brett or sour beer, and you can buy chilled JP bottles as well. They also have some non-brett beers available by another brewery (forgot the name). I didn't try the other beers since I'm a JP fan. The food is upscale, organic/local pubfare. Local, grassfed beef burger- organic lettuce in the salads, etc. The prices were reasonable. We got there at like 5:00 on a Friday, and traffic and parking was not fun, but there is a parking ramp behind the cafe that we fought our way into.
I think JP also has a cafe in Traverse City, and a friend told me that they are opening one in Rochester Hills too, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is Ashley's still there? They have (had?) bazillions of beers on tap and more in bottles. Not a brewpub, but still a fun place.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
DGibb
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Yep, Ashley's is still there. Just went to their cask ale fest last weekend. They always have a fantastic selection there, and many tap takeovers.

Great beer in Michigan, and great beer selection.