Can I get some help with a recipe? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I get some help with a recipe?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Wraith
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 6


A friend of mine has asked me to brew a Dos Equis clone and I'm still really new at reading recipes and brewing in general. I'm using this recipe and am confused on the brewing steps.

Can someone tell me the steps to enter each ingredient? I see the timing for the hops but I'm unsure when to put in the rice solids, DME, LME, etc.

Thanks for any help offered.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
dbreienrk1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Alexandria, VA
Posts: 383
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Do you have the ability to create a lager? If so, what equipment do you have at your disposal to make said beer?
__________________
Noah
Alexandria, VA
Piedmont Brewing Company
http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,730
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts


Since the ingredients aren't part of that recipe (questionable recipe, if you ask me, but you didn't), I would steep the grains for 20 minutes in 150-160 degree water, remove them, and bring that liquid up to a boil. Add the extracts and rice solids. Bring that to a boil, and start with the hops.

Keep in mind that Dos Equis is a lager, and using an ale yeast at ale temperatures won't clone Dos Equis.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Wraith
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 6

No, I don't have the ability to lager. From the instructions in the recipe I would ferment as an ale.

I only have the normal equipment to brew, kettle, immersion chiller, fermenting vessel, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Wraith
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Since the ingredients aren't part of that recipe (questionable recipe, if you ask me, but you didn't), I would steep the grains for 20 minutes in 150-160 degree water, remove them, and bring that liquid up to a boil. Add the extracts and rice solids. Bring that to a boil, and start with the hops.

Keep in mind that Dos Equis is a lager, and using an ale yeast at ale temperatures won't clone Dos Equis.
Hmmm, didn't notice any questions raised from the previous posts about that.

Not questioning your judgment or anything.

Reason: Addition

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
dbreienrk1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Alexandria, VA
Posts: 383
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
No, I don't have the ability to lager. From the instructions in the recipe I would ferment as an ale.

I only have the normal equipment to brew, kettle, immersion chiller, fermenting vessel, etc.
Well, you can create something similar to Dos Equis, but it is a lager so your ale will not be the same. Not that the previous recipe is wrong, but it doesn't seem like a Dos Equis to me...
__________________
Noah
Alexandria, VA
Piedmont Brewing Company
http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
beerman0001
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
virginia beach, virginia
Posts: 984
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
A friend of mine has asked me to brew a Dos Equis clone and I'm still really new at reading recipes and brewing in general. I'm using this recipe and am confused on the brewing steps.

Can someone tell me the steps to enter each ingredient? I see the timing for the hops but I'm unsure when to put in the rice solids, DME, LME, etc.

Thanks for any help offered.
Until you can lager leave this one alone. It will be no ware close to DOSXXes. If you are doing in amber one look up vienna lager.
__________________
Fermenting.
On tap: World wide lager, Dopelbock, Apfelwein, American Wheat, DFH 90, Dortmunder export, Skeeterpee, Chinook/Citra ipa.
Waiting on a tap. Maibock, Two Hearted, Pliny the elder, Chimay White, Roggenbrier, DFH60
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First shot at recipe making: Extra Pale Ale Recipe Critique dayflyer55 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 06-27-2011 01:14 AM


Forum Jump