Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I am drinking way too much beer

Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
tommymartin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I am drinking way too much beer

I am having a problem with clarity(the beer, not me). Maybe I am not leaving it in the primary long enough. After 2 weeks fermentation has slowed to almost 0. I have already drank all of the last batch so I go ahead and bottle it. Another week in the bottle and the beer is still cloudy. My recipee tastes great so I go ahead and drink it all.
How long should I leave it in the primary? Should I do a secondary?
I originally thought I was crushing the grains too fine so I bought a mill and still having this problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

Do you use whirfloc or irish moss? Do you cold crash before bottling?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymartin View Post
I am having a problem with clarity(the beer, not me). Maybe I am not leaving it in the primary long enough. After 2 weeks fermentation has slowed to almost 0. I have already drank all of the last batch so I go ahead and bottle it. Another week in the bottle and the beer is still cloudy. My recipee tastes great so I go ahead and drink it all.
I originally thought I was crushing the grains too fine so I bought a mill and still having this problem.
When you don't bother to bottle at all and develop a taste for uncarbonated beer you will have made progress. Huge time saver! That and use a high flock yeast like Wyeast 1968 Fuller's ESB.

The other thing you may be doing is over grinding stirring handling grain and not filtering with a braided SS strainer like you should be...

How long in primary? Depends on how big and how fast it ferments. Leaving it a month for just about any style not a bad idea IMO and experience. Then go to secondary if need be or just bottle it. If you can wait a month of course.

Reason: you need to get flocked

Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymartin View Post
I leave my beer in the primary fermenter for 4 weeks before bottling. It gives the yeast time to clean up after themselves. My beers have gotten so much clearer since I've started doing this. Sometimes I use Irish moss as a fining agent but there are times when I forget to add it and my beers are still clear. My friends even comment on the clarity and color of my beers.

When my beers are aging in the bottles, I let them sit for about 4 weeks before cracking one open (unless the alcohol% is +7 then it's much longer). This also gives the yeast/sediment time to finish settling out.

The yeast you use also makes a difference. I bottled an Irish ale last night. This batch I used WLP007 (Dry English strain) and the beer was so unbelievably clear. The point is this: if you use a yeast that flocculates well (meaning it clumps and falls to the bottom) then that will also help produce a clear beer. Some yeasts tend to remain suspended in the beer, like the WLP500 (Trappist strain) yeast.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
jmtwo
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You're not drinking too much... You're brewing too little.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
m1k3
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymartin
After 2 weeks fermentation has slowed to almost 0. I have already drank all of the last batch so I go ahead and bottle it. Another week in the bottle and the beer is still cloudy. My recipee tastes great so I go ahead and drink it all.
It sounds like you do one batch at a time.
Ferment-Bottle- Ferment-Bottle- Ferment-Bottle

Have you ever tried to get another batch in the cycle?
Ferment-Bottle-Age- Ferment-Bottle-Age- Ferment-Bottle-Age

I think I'm just elaborating on what jmtwo said.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1653 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

DUDE! AS your friend, let me gently point out that your title blows.

It could not have much less to do with your actual question.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
KitB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Test/control your mash pH & let the yeast clean up, before bottling.

Just because you don't see bubbling doesn't mean that the yeast are done doing their job.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

vorlauf, rolling boil, fast chill, whirfloc, gelatin, cold crash, time: in that order