Just finished brewing my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryteague

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my first batch in the fermenter, and in the ferm chamber (chest freezer) today. It's an Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwestern supplies. Now I just need to leave it alone for 3 weeks, if I can. The thing that sucks though is that I broke my friggin' hydrometer before I could get an OG reading. Other than that, everything went smoothly though. Now I'm waiting on a Hefeweizen kit to get here, so I can get it going too. I think I'm hooked!

Now you are going to have to keep at least one beer in the fermenter at all times in order to not run out! This gets addicting, fast!

Jayhem said:
Now you are going to have to keep at least one beer in the fermenter at all times in order to not run out! This gets addicting, fast!

Haha so true. I had two carboys and I had to buy a third because I wanted a bigger pipeline. One bottles, two ready to bottle this weekend and I got one more about a week away from bottling.

And @ op, congrats man that's awesome!

Always feels so much better to have your own beer to drink,so congrats on that! I've got one that's Just done with room temp conditioning time for tomorrow. Another one that'll be bottled in the next couple days. Gettin ready to brew again 4/1.:mug:

I have three 6 gallon fermenters a 5 gallon Better Bottle and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets. So I can do a bunch.

I have 7 beers that are ready, 2 in bottle conditioning, and 2 in fermenters.

Variety is the spice of life!

:mug:

Well, I finally got my first batch in the fermenter, and in the ferm chamber (chest freezer) today. It's an Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwestern supplies. Now I just need to leave it alone for 3 weeks, if I can. The thing that sucks though is that I broke my friggin' hydrometer before I could get an OG reading. Other than that, everything went smoothly though. Now I'm waiting on a Hefeweizen kit to get here, so I can get it going too. I think I'm hooked!

Is it an all-grain or extract?
If extract you can easily figure the OG by calculating the weight of extract in the volume of water for example, if you used 6.6lbs of Liquid Malt Extract and ended up with 5 gallons of wort then your OG should be somewhere around 1.045. LME=.009 gravity in 5 gallons. Just estimates of course!

If all-grain then your OG is out the window!

Congrats on the first brew and may you have many a fine brew days ahead!

KevinW said:
Is it an all-grain or extract?
If extract you can easily figure the OG by calculating the weight of extract in the volume of water for example, if you used 6.6lbs of Liquid Malt Extract and ended up with 5 gallons of wort then your OG should be somewhere around 1.045. LME=.009 gravity in 5 gallons. Just estimates of course!

If all-grain then your OG is out the window!

Congrats on the first brew and may you have many a fine brew days ahead!

It was an extract batch (AG isn't too far away though, working on a mash tun now). I appreciate the help with the gravity calculation, I read about it in one of my books, but had forgotten about it.
I have another recipe kit (also extract) on the way, so I should be brewing again on tuesday. Gotta get the pipeline built up so I can start experimenting with different ingredients.

Congrats on batch 1... time to buy more fermenters and do batch 2

I have five 6.5 gallon fermenters. I can bottle and brew almost every weekend... well until the honey do list gets the SWMBO upset then I got to work...but not this weekend, bottling an oatmeal stout as soon as I finish toasting the oatmeal for my oatmeal stout I am brewing on Sunday.... OMG I got it bad.... and I am running out of bottles???

I need to be more like you,brewerin. I got more bottles than I can shake a beer truck at. Need more $$ to brew more often. I got the bottles for something like 6 batches. And that means 5 or 6 gallons each. Oh,the beermanitiy!:drunk:

BrewerinBR said:
Congrats on batch 1... time to buy more fermenters and do batch 2

I have five 6.5 gallon fermenters. I can bottle and brew almost every weekend... well until the honey do list gets the SWMBO upset then I got to work...but not this weekend, bottling an oatmeal stout as soon as I finish toasting the oatmeal for my oatmeal stout I am brewing on Sunday.... OGM I got it bad.... and I am running out of bottles???

Nice! I bought 2 fermenters (6.5 gallon) so I can at least keep 2 batches going. I'm headed to the LHBS in a little while for a couple of carboys (6.5 gallon and 5 gallon). I plan on doing a lager soon (prolly an Oktoberfest or a Maibock), so I need a secondary. The beauty of it is that the SWMBO doesn't mind at all!

Quick update: fermentation has commenced! I'm getting a lot of activity in the airlock and the fermentation temp is holding at 64 degrees. SWMBO is also having a hard time not looking at the fermenter every 5 seconds. Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and I'll be updating this (with pics) regularly. Cheers!

Back