How off will the carbonation be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franknferter

Reaction score
So when I was bottling my most recent beer I decided to split the batch, 3 gallons in bottles and the other 2 split between two one gallons jugs for experimentation purposes. So I measured out the sugar into equal 1/5ths and boiled a bit of water and 3/5ths of the sugar. This is where I messed up. I siphoned all 5 gallons into the bottling bucket. I didn't realize my mistake until about the last 5 bottles or so.:eek:

So my question is, how messed up will the carbonation be, and will time fix the issue?

On a side note it was BierMunchers Centennial Blonde.

Well I suppose that depends on if your beer was 100% done fermenting or not. That could provide a little extra. If you end up being unsatisfied you could buy conditioning tablets and recap your bottles after putting one in each. 3 is average carbonation so one in each ought to be a good supplement.

So, and just to make sure we are on the same page, you added 3/5 of the priming sugar (3 ounces?) to 5 gallons of beer? If that is the case then you should be alright. It won't be a heavily carbonated beer, but I also don't think it will be flat.

You will probably have a less carbonated beer than desired. Bottle conditioning for a longer period of time may help.

What I don't understand is that if you were using the bottling bucket why did you not prime with all the sugar into the 5 gallons then dispense into the separate vessels?

i.e. If you were bottling with 12oz. and 22oz. bottles there is no need to prime differently, just mix the sugar in the bottling bucket then fill the bottles.

I had intended to do the two gallons first then the sugar then bottle, but I messed up and was basking in a moment of glory while I was doing it. You see, immediately preceding this error I dumped sanitizer into the bottling bucket only to find that the spigot had broken in two and now had gallons of sanitizer spilling onto the floor. After that was taken care of and the mess cleaned up, I had to figure out a way to bottle beer without the use of the plastic spigot. So using a rubber plug with a hole, that had a plastic hose running out of it, I plugged the hole a proceeded to bottle without any further issue...until I realized my mistake with the priming sugar.

Edit: I was doing some secondary experiments with the two one gallon jugs, I didn't want to add the priming sugar to them, but alas I was distracted and messed up.

Back