Ipod shuffle? How many podcasts... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Ipod shuffle? How many podcasts...

Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
uuurang
Recipes 

Mar 2007
madison, wi
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thinking about picking up one of these to listen to talk radio programs and podcasts...

Anyone know how many 1 hour long shows I can fit on it? 250 songs at a conservative 2 min. per song would leave me with 500 minutes of talk. That would be 8.3333333 hrs of radio program. Any real world experience using the shuffle with such media. Thanks!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

not sure about the shuffle, but I have one of the 40gig ipods that says it'll hold 10,000 songs. It will actually hold about 8400. The built in software takes up a little memory and they rate the capacity based on the lowest sound quality and bit rate. Easiest way to tell would be to just load the thing up until it can't hold anymore...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-08-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

The number of songs really depends on the length of the songs...duh!

So, you're saying about 14 copies of the long version of Inna-Godda-Da-Vida?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

I wouldn't do a shuffle for listening to podcasts; if you want to hear the show on Maibock, you want to hear THAT show, not something random. IIRC, it's all random, all-the-time, right?

I can't stand Apple, the smarmy little bitches. I have a little Creative MuVo that I've used for probably two and a half years, pretty much every day. It's been beat to hell, it's been dropped in water, and it works great still. And, cheap as hell.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 06-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
iBeer
Recipes 

Jan 2007

I've got an old ipod shuffle (512 MB), and I use it for listening to podcasts constantly. It works quite well, but the only thing that bugs me is that there is no screen so if you dump too many podcasts on it, it's tough to figure out which episode you're listening to - you've actually got to wait until you get into the show and figure out if that's the show you want to listen to. I tend to dump shows onto it daily, and cycle through them, so it's not a big deal - I put the show on it because I want to listen to it...
As for the capacity, it'll depend on the quality the show was recorded in. Some of my podcasts are regarding music, and were recorded at a really decent quality and 1 hour can take up 50 MB, however a typical podcast is 25 MB per hour, and a strickly talking podcast can be as little as 12 MB per hour.
So depending on what you want to listen to, you can be looking at 10 hours of podcasts, all the way to 43 hours of podcasts, or anywhere in between.
Basically, your battery will determine how long you can listen to your ipod for, before you have to plug it in again.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
uuurang
Recipes 

Mar 2007
madison, wi
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All very good contributions People! Thank you all very much, but there can only be one that makes the cut. The winner goes to iBeer! You were most helpful. Don't believe I'll be looking at creative muvo...is it still made, any ways.

The size of the shuffle is very important. I want small, and a screen is not needed plus w/o it I bet battery will last longer. 12hrs of shows would be perfect and low cost.

the_bird, good to see a friendly face under your name again. Something about the brew crew says "Hey, I'm friendly!"

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The Jamil casts run about 22 mb per hour.

I have an IAudio 5, which is similar in size to a shuffle, clunkier to use, and way more functional. Has a bunch of stupid colored light schemes, which I turned off and never touched again.

Were I looking for something to listen to podcasts today, I'd go for one of those (or maybe one of the newer IAudios) before a shuffle. Not sure what they go for now, but when I got it a couple years ago it was cheaper than a same-capacity Shuffle. And again, WAY more functional.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Be sure to check the SanDisk players. You will get more for your money. The random play feature on the Shuffle would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
uuurang
Recipes 

Mar 2007
madison, wi
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Be sure to check the SanDisk players. You will get more for your money. The random play feature on the Shuffle would be a deal breaker for me.
I understand the things called SHUFFLE, but so far from what's been said it sounds like the shuffle feature can't be turned off. I'd think in this day and age at $80 for a product like this it would have more functionality.(empty rant) Anyways, it doesn't matter for my uses.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
uuurang
Recipes 

Mar 2007
madison, wi
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
The Jamil casts run about 22 mb per hour.

I have an IAudio 5, which is similar in size to a shuffle, clunkier to use, and way more functional. Has a bunch of stupid colored light schemes, which I turned off and never touched again.

Were I looking for something to listen to podcasts today, I'd go for one of those (or maybe one of the newer IAudios) before a shuffle. Not sure what they go for now, but when I got it a couple years ago it was cheaper than a same-capacity Shuffle. And again, WAY more functional.
So, for Jamil's cast for instance I could get 40 some podcasts on 1 gig with the shuffle.(1000/22=45-whatever overhead loss for data=~40ish) Wow! I'd be happy all week. I was thinking I'd need to update the playlist once a day(10-12 hrs of listen time)