Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > D2 vs. D180 belgian candi syrup
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
RichardShivers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 12
Default D2 vs. D180 belgian candi syrup

I was wondering if anyone has had experience using both brands of candi syrup. I have found a couple recipes that include several pounds D180, however, my LHBS only carries the D2 SRM 160 (I understand there are two brands that use D2 as their color rating/ flavor profile?). They can special order D180 but it cost twice as much. Anyways, as far as flavor and fementabilty, has anyone noticed a difference between the D2 with 160 SRM and the D180?


RichardShivers is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,920
Liked 675 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default

I have used both and they both are good, but I give the edge to the D-180. Better flavor and it seems to ferment down a couple of points better.

http://www.candisyrup.com/

I order enoughh to make the shipping worth it. Their Simplicity syrup is great in Tripels and Saisons. The D45 and D-90 are good in Dubbels.


beergolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
RichardShivers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
I have used both and they both are good, but I give the edge to the D-180. Better flavor and it seems to ferment down a couple of points better.

http://www.candisyrup.com/

I order enoughh to make the shipping worth it. Their Simplicity syrup is great in Tripels and Saisons. The D45 and D-90 are good in Dubbels.
Alright, thanks for your input, i was leaning more towards the D180 based on what their website says about their product, however, was worried that they were hyping their products up a bit.
RichardShivers is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
RichardShivers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
Their Simplicity syrup is great in Tripels and Saisons.
Interesting info here, i had a discussion (regarding light belgian candi rocks and the light belgian candi syrup) with the owner of my LHBS owner, who has been in business since 1991, about belgian light candi sugar and he said that it wouldnt contribute to the flavor or body at all and i might as well use corn sugar if i was looking to up the abv. I am not sure but i am glad i took his advice on using D2 on my last recipe that i made that asked for light belgian candi sugar instead.
RichardShivers is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
oneillkza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardShivers View Post
Interesting info here, i had a discussion (regarding light belgian candi rocks and the light belgian candi syrup) with the owner of my LHBS owner, who has been in business since 1991, about belgian light candi sugar and he said that it wouldnt contribute to the flavor or body at all and i might as well use corn sugar if i was looking to up the abv. I am not sure but i am glad i took his advice on using D2 on my last recipe that i made that asked for light belgian candi sugar instead.
I think you're confusing two naming systems. D2 is a product of Dark Candi, Inc, stands for "dark 2", and has an SRM of 80. The products by Candi Syrup, Inc, OTOH, use a "D-" followed by the degrees Lovibond (D-45, D-90 and D-180). So a recipe calling for D2 syrup was asking for a pretty dark syrup, equivalent to something between D-45 and D-90, not a syrup with 2 degrees Lovibond.

But you're probably right about the really light syrups being no better than corn sugar (or table sugar, or plain invert syrup).
oneillkza is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
logan3825
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,028
Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillkza View Post
But you're probably right about the really light syrups being no better than corn sugar (or table sugar, or plain invert syrup).
Many brewers will just use table sugar instead of light candi sugar. I personally wouldn't bother with candi sugar unless it is supposed to add color.
logan3825 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
jagec
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 105
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default

I'm a big fan of the D-180. Buying it from their website comes out cheaper than getting D2 at my LHBS, and for an extra $4 (2 lb order) you can get a kickass stainless steel carafe that you can use to bring beer to a "no-glass" event, or as a water bottle when hiking, or as a general storage container for liquids. And the flavor profile is incredible.s


jagec is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honey or Candi Syrup arog3000 General Beer Discussion 4 10-31-2011 09:46 PM
Belgian Candy Syrup and Candi Sugar pacebrew General Beer Discussion 5 03-31-2011 09:22 AM
Where to buy D2 candi syrup? spiffcow General Beer Discussion 7 12-18-2010 04:38 AM
D2 Belgian Candi Syrup rjwhite41 General Beer Discussion 1 12-02-2010 09:09 PM
Belgian candi syrup Dave258 General Beer Discussion 2 07-26-2010 12:17 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS