simple quick sour? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > simple quick sour?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
NJstout
Recipes 

Aug 2011
fairfield, nj
Liked 13 Times on 4 Posts

Will this work for a simple, quick, basic sour cherry ale?

6pounds vienna
5pounds wheat
4oz acid malt

1oz mt hood @ fwh

us05 yeast

start mash at 152F, mash for 24hours.

sour cherrys after 10days added to primary

keg after 1 month

Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
spearko520
Recipes 

Dec 2011
allentown, PA
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts

i haven't been able to get anything more than slightly tangy with sauermalz. i would add some dregs from a commercial sour and wait a little. if you want to get a lacto infection, search that- i think there are better ways than just letting the mash cool off for a day. how sour do you want it?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520 View Post
i haven't been able to get anything more than slightly tangy with sauermalz. i would add some dregs from a commercial sour and wait a little. if you want to get a lacto infection, search that- i think there are better ways than just letting the mash cool off for a day. how sour do you want it?
A 24hr mash will get it plenty tart. Might get some bad aroma in there as well, but if the OP is looking for a fast sour that's probably the fastest (aside from just adding lactic acid, which usually doesn't taste all that good).

Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
spearko520
Recipes 

Dec 2011
allentown, PA
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts

if you let the mash cool for 24 hours, your chances of getting off aromas from clostridium are much higher, then if you do a mini mash lacto starter and keep it at 110 for a day or two. I just haven't been thrilled with the results i have had- but my idea of sour might be different than yours, i like low threes high twos. Mine have been better when i've added the lacto post boil, rather than souring the mash pre- boil.