Fermentation Temp Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamer

Reaction score
I would like to get a stamp of approval on a project from the old guys.

I have a large very heavy metal shelf system, lot heaver than the pic. I've inclosed it in with wood for another project. Planning on stapling insulation around the shelves and mounting an A/C with the temp control on the shelf. It would be around $200 to complete. With the current wood that I've enclosed it in it would be pretty tightly sealed. It would hold more than I would ever need like 30+ fermenters easy (planning on 2-3 at a time most).

Can anyone save me from this folly?

:tank:

035441279074xl.jpg

012505273582xl.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317015-2251-LRA074AT7_0__?productId=3200897&Ntt=air+conditioners&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dair%2Bconditioners&facetInfo=

Nothing wrong with the idea. Should work great. I would make sure it is well insulated to make sure you don't waste energy. A lot of guys use the temp control with an old fridge (myself included), and it works great. The only change I've made to my setup is to swap out the controller to a dual unit that can control a heating unit (I use a ferm wrap) and a cooling unit (the fridge). This way I can ferment in my little fridge any time of the year and manage the temp perfectly.

Well, I built it. Takes under 3 minutes to cool from high 80's to mid 50's. A/C hardly cuts on as well, so I must have done a decent job with the insulation. Turns out to be a pretty easy project with self tapping screws. I'll put up some pics of the finished product after I clean it up tomorrow.

Shelf and particle board = had (old hydroponics setup that I've graduated up from)

A/C = $159 (now that I've built it, I'd not spent the extra $60 for one with the digital temp, the $99 A/C would have been fine.)

Insolution = $30

Shiny Tape = $3

Self Tap Screws = $6

2x4 board for A/C shelf = $3

Here's the project as it stands. Can't find any air leaks and the outside isnt cool to the touch so guess the insulation is good enough. The buckets and carboys can easily fit 2 deep 6 in a row. Doubt I'll have 12 going at one time. :ban:

345.jpg

346.jpg

Was thinking of enclosing the bottom, putting a $99 A/C on it for lagering since it can get down to 50's. There was one other cost to building this, $150 bribe money to get the Wife out of house. ;)

Love this idea for those with enough space! I don't foresee me ever needing to ferment more than 3 batches at a time though. This would work well in say a cool basement but in a hot garage in the summer this would be vastly less efficient than a chest freezer for temp control.

Since most basements in the east and south could use a dehumidifier in the summer it would be neat to install this so it intakes air from outside the box and then drips the condensation water into a bucket so you can pull some humidity out of your basement while fermenting beer!

Adding an Air purifier as a second thought. Plan to keep 2-3 5 gallons brew and 5-8 1 gallon mead in there. That should leave room for bottled beer.

The doors are plywood with small slide catches to keep them closed. That was the hardest part to figure out, I'm not a carpenter. Anyone have better idea, I'm open. :tank:

Latest posts

Back