Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pump Addition Help

Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
CPORT546
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Pump Addition Help

I've searched for this but have yet to find a good thread on it. I'm looking for a do's and dont's thread. Does anyone know of a thread that walks you through everything you need to know about adding a pump to your system. Most of what I have found is rig specific and I'm looking for more general information. Thanks

Upcoming: Watermelon Wheat, Caz Willie IPA, Mosaic PA, Spriced Cherry Dubbel

Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1490 Posts

You'd probably get some ideas by looking at some of the "Show Us Your Brew Sculpture" threads, but here are a few general tips:

- for the most part, the only appropriate pumps are magnetically coupled, using high-temperature tolerant materials that are also "food grade" (or at least "generally recognized as safe" around consumables)
- mount the pump well below vessels to ease priming
- regardless of the motor orientation, the ideal pump head orientation is to end up with the outlet port pointing to 12 O'Clock. Next best is with the outlet pointing at 3 O'Clock
- sizing your inlet plumbing path, from pickup to pump inlet, to match or exceed the pump inlet ID, will help avoid cavitation
- provide a way to let air bleed out of the pump head when priming - very important
- avoid sharp bends immediately before the pump inlet. A couple/few inches of straight shot into the inlet will benefit pump performance
- never control pump flow from the inlet side; "throttling" with a valve must be done on the output side
- never run a pump dry for more than seconds; it is the liquid that lubricates the pump head/impeller; without liquid flowing, bad things happen
- provide a splash/drip shield over the pump motor; if you drown the motor in water or wort, you can forget benefiting from any warranty service
- make sure the pump is electrically grounded for safety, and ideally ends up at a GFCI device

I'm sure there are more tips out there...

Cheers!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
CPORT546
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any other good general info to share I would appreciate it.
Upcoming: Watermelon Wheat, Caz Willie IPA, Mosaic PA, Spriced Cherry Dubbel

Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORT546 View Post
Thanks for the info. If anyone has any other good general info to share I would appreciate it.
Tripper did an excellent job of covering it... can't think of anything else

Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As with any new equipment purchase, RTFM (Read The F*****g Manual)!!