If you don't hit the FG of your recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
But FG readings are 5 points off (Intended FG 1.022, current FG 1.027) on 3 consecutive days, is it still OK to bottle?

I did a few searches on here and can't really get an answer to this question. My AG recipe shows a target OG of 1.062 (mine was 1.061). The target FG is 1.022, mine is 1.027 at 18 days into primary (only) fermentation. I plan on taking another reading at 21 days (this Saturday), but if it's still at 1.027, is it safe to bottle...or not?

If not, then what else can be done to drop it a few more points? The temp has already been bumped up to about 70 degrees these last few days, so it's not like it's "too cold."

Any help?

Sure, it's probably safe to bottle. If you wanted to bring the FG down further, you have the option of re-pitching some new yeast in order to shave off some more points. I have had mixed results with using re-hydrated Champagne yeast to finish off batches that I thought could go lower. If you go the re-pitch route, you'll be waiting at least another week to see if you get additional attenuation.

It doesn't really matter what the FG of your beer is when you bottle, it just matters that it has stabilized and that you will only get a small, controlled fermentation when you bottle condition. If your yeast is still actively attenuating, the CO2 output will simply be too much and the resulting pressure will blow up the bottle. All of that being said, only being 5 points off your estimated is not that big of a deal. I've bottled a batch at 1.020 when it was supposed to 1.014 - the fermentation just stopped and I didn't mind the taste at all, so I bottled it.

Sure, it's probably safe to bottle. If you wanted to bring the FG down further, you have the option of re-pitching some new yeast in order to shave off some more points. I have had mixed results with using re-hydrated Champagne yeast to finish off batches that I thought could go lower. If you go the re-pitch route, you'll be waiting at least another week to see if you get additional attenuation.

It doesn't really matter what the FG of your beer is when you bottle, it just matters that it has stabilized and that you will only get a small, controlled fermentation when you bottle condition. If your yeast is still actively attenuating, the CO2 output will simply be too much and the resulting pressure will blow up the bottle. All of that being said, only being 5 points off your estimated is not that big of a deal. I've bottled a batch at 1.020 when it was supposed to 1.014 - the fermentation just stopped and I didn't mind the taste at all, so I bottled it.

I just tasted it and it was good. I'm just trying to prepare myself for day 21 (this Saturday) if I get the same FG reading again.

Won't bottling when not meeting the FG cause overcarbonation?

i wouldnt bottle it, thats not even 60% attenuation. what was your recipe and mash temp? sounds like a stalled ferment to me

It shouldn't. I think you're confusing expected FG with actual FG. Those yeast aren't machines and aren't looking to hit a specific final gravity. They just rock and roll until they've used up all the sugar they can, which is evidenced by the stable gravity readings.

Overcarbonation will only happen if you add too much priming sugar at bottling time.

You'll be fine.

i wouldnt bottle it, thats not even 60% attenuation. what was your recipe and mash temp? sounds like a stalled ferment to me

Malts and Fermentables:
Pale Malt (2 Row US)- 1.4 lb
Roasted Barley- 0.2 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt- 0.15 lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15 lb
Munich Malt- 0.15 lb
Barley (flaked)- 0.125 lb
Oats (flaked)- 0.10 lb

Strike Temp 155.8
Mash Temp 151 for 75 min

Hops
Mt. Hood- 0.16 oz @ 60 min. (was supposed to be 0.07 Magnum Hops)
EK Goldings- 0.2 oz @ 10 min.

Boil: 1 hr

Misc.
Milk sugar (lactose)- 0.2 lb @ 10 min.
1/4 Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min.

Yeast:
S-05- Per MrMalty, pitch 0.2 packs of 11.5 gram dry packet (rounded up to .5 packet)

OG: 1.062
My OG: 1.061
FG: 1.022
My FG:

Malts and Fermentables:
Roasted Barley- 0.2 lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15 lb
Munich Malt- 0.15 lb
Oats (flaked)- 0.10 lb

Strike Temp 155.8
Mash Temp 151 for 75 min

Hops

Misc.

Yeast:
S-05- Per MrMalty, pitch 0.2 packs of 11.5 gram dry packet (rounded up to .5 packet)

My FG:

I'm guessing this is around a 1 gallon batch. The lactose can give you a higher FG. Since you've warmed it up you can rouse the yeast a little and let it sit another week. If it's still the same after that I would bottle..

Malts and Fermentables:
Roasted Barley- 0.2 lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15 lb
Munich Malt- 0.15 lb
Oats (flaked)- 0.10 lb

Strike Temp 155.8
Mash Temp 151 for 75 min

Hops

Misc.

Yeast:

My FG:

Interesting - you mashed low, so I would expect that you would get more attenuation than you did, especially with S-05. But you have the potential for alot of unfermentables with that grain bill, so I could also see it getting stuck. I've you've got that other half packet of yeast lying around, I would consider making up a simple starter and letting it get going for a day and then pitching that in. I guess I would be surprised if you couldn't drop a few more points off.

I don't have any yeast on hand and I'm heading out of town today until Saturday. I plan on letting it sit and taking another FG reading on Saturday. Maybe after a few more days it'll drop 5 points, but I'm not really banking on it.

I just don't want to have overcarbed bottles. I'm fine with how it tastes. I know some of you guys say it won't matter, but I've read in other areas that it does matter, so now I'm worried.

how accurate are those weights? it wouldnt take much extra lactose to make that FG reasonable. without the lactose it shoulda finished around 1.010 - 1.014. every oz of lactose would add about 2.7 pts onto that.

how accurate are those weights? it wouldnt take much extra lactose to make that FG reasonable. without the lactose it shoulda finished around 1.010 - 1.014. every oz of lactose would add about 2.7 pts onto that.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the grains because my LHBS measures them out for me. Maybe they round up/down to make things easier on their end?

The lactose is pretty dead on. I have a digital scale that I used.

I don't have any yeast on hand and I'm heading out of town today until Saturday. I plan on letting it sit and taking another FG reading on Saturday. Maybe after a few more days it'll drop 5 points, but I'm not really banking on it.

I just don't want to have overcarbed bottles. I'm fine with how it tastes. I know some of you guys say it won't matter, but I've read in other areas that it does matter, so now I'm worried.

You'll have to point me to where you're getting this information that your bottles are going to end up over-carbed. It doesn't really make sense from a practical point of view - if your yeast are no longer eating the sugars remaining in beer that are causing your FG to be what it is, it's highly unlikely that introducing sugar for bottling and transferring to your bottling bucket are going to substantially change that. As others have noted, the added lactose can easily increase your FG readings to the level you're at and it's not as if bottling is going to make that stuff magically fermentable. If you add the right amount of sugar for the level of carbonation you are seeking, I don't think you're going to end up with over-carbed beer. Who is saying otherwise and what is the basis of that opinion?

You'll have to point me to where you're getting this information that your bottles are going to end up over-carbed. It doesn't really make sense from a practical point of view - if your yeast are no longer eating the sugars remaining in beer that are causing your FG to be what it is, it's highly unlikely that introducing sugar for bottling and transferring to your bottling bucket are going to substantially change that. As others have noted, the added lactose can easily increase your FG readings to the level you're at and it's not as if bottling is going to make that stuff magically fermentable. If you add the right amount of sugar for the level of carbonation you are seeking, I don't think you're going to end up with over-carbed beer. Who is saying otherwise and what is the basis of that opinion?

Page 1 of this thread, 4 posts down- by thargav
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/question-regarding-metallic-off-flavor-equipment-311657/

Page 1 of this thread, 9 posts down- TopherM
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/2-questions-regarding-bottling-priming-sugar-310397/

Prior to pitching, how did you aerate the wort? And did you just dump the S-05 in or did you rehydrate? It could be a yeast viability issue...maybe

Both of those posts point to overcarbonation being a function of bottling too early (i.e. fermentation wasn't finished). If your beer's specific gravity is stable, you should be fine to bottle and shouldn't worry about overcarbonation.

Both of those posts point to overcarbonation being a function of bottling too early (i.e. fermentation wasn't finished). If your beer's specific gravity is stable, you should be fine to bottle and shouldn't worry about overcarbonation.

But my first brew was stable...It was stable for 3 days in a row, so I bottled. Then it came out overcarbed.

Maybe you used too much priming sugar?*

If the yeast are finished fermenting, a slightly higher than expected FG isn't going to result in overcarbonation.

*When you say "overcarbed", what do you mean? Are you getting gushers or just more carbonation than you'd prefer?

Back