Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If you were to brew a batch of beer for a wedding...

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
BirdBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default If you were to brew a batch of beer for a wedding...

What would it be?

I have a couple friends getting married this May and they are doing all homebrew for their reception. Thus, a friend and I are each brewing a 5 gallon batch for them as gifts.

The other batch of beer is a pretty standard Hefeweizen, and I am looking for inspiration/recipes. Anyone have a good allgrain recipe for something light and tasty that could be ready by the start of May? (I know I'm cutting it a little close on the time) Maybe something in the wheat category or a somewhat out there variation on a hefeweizen?

Thanks,
Bird

Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Camride
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have a recipe for you, but I like a nice Red/Amber ale for an easy drinking beer. If you brew a beer this weekend you have time for 3 weeks in fermentation and 3 weeks in bottles. That should be good if you hit everything right and the beer doesn't need to clean up any off flavors.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am going to make a honey and heather ale for some Friends reception this fall. It is basically going to be a Fraoch like beer with slightly less of a heather presence, some honey malt and honey. I am planning it to be 5%

Honey has traditionally been associated with weddings/honeymoons for a LONG time.

Another lesser known is apple. I am planning an apple Kolsh and think that would be a nice beer as well.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Komp09
Recipes 

I would go with a tasty Oktoberfast Ale and force carb to speed it up. I dont know why but I a nice malty beer going over well at a wedding. Wish I had an all-grain receipe for you but I'm still limited to doing partial mash brews.

Good luck, sounds like fun

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I have a recipe for a ridiculously hopped blood orange hefeweizen aka the blood orange weiPA. Its extracs but can be converted easily. lots of citra and cascade hops. Made it last year and was a hit with my homebrew crew, best one i ever made (their words, nto mine). Or a regular blood orange hef might be a good option.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cream ale and Irish Red are usually widely appreciated. Stick to lower ABV, low or no roast malts and lower IBUs to get a quick turnaround. Also, it helps to go light on the hop flavors and aromas if you're trying to please a wide audience.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

If you use an English yeast strain (WLP002 is awesome), you can ferment your beer and have it ready for packaging in 2 weeks, leaving you 4 weeks for conditioning. I've got some great, fast recipes if you're interested!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm considering doing something like this, as i am in the early planning stages for my wedding.

The best think i can think of would be 'know your guests' cater to what they like ... or if you don't know, the best bet is just to keep it simple.

Also, +1 to lower abv. Think Session beers.

I plan on doing

Cream ale
IPA
Amber
Apfelwein, instead of Champagne toast.

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
fletchsj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't get too fancy... If you want a wit or hefe do one. Just don't get too fancy. But, if it were me I'd do a steam beer or something very crisp, clean, and clear. something everyone can enjoy.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Taliesin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I highly agree with the Irish Red or Cream Ale suggestion. A sweet, brown ale along the lines of Newcastle is another good recommendation, if you don't know your audience. Anything too hoppy or too heavy will be a hit with some, but will turn others off on homebrew or craft beers. A good middle of the road style is a good plan.

Now, if you know you have a bunch of beer geeks in the audience, brew something crazy.