When to dry hop? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > When to dry hop?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Mitcha_aus
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 14


Hey guys and Girls

Kinda new to this Homebrew scene so still trying to learn some basics..
im currently doing a amber ale and i would like to dry hop it using
cascade hops. Im going to use 25grams of Amarillo hops in my wort via Tea bagging. now the question i have is when should i dry hop my cascade hops? do i really need to move it to secondary or could i just place them in my primary? I know some of you will be shacking your heads thinking what a Newb but i truly have no idea. Oh and if i need to move it to secondary when is the best time?
Thanks in advance

Mitch

PS both types of hops are in pellet form


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
tojo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Suburban Philadelphia area, PA
Posts: 459
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


You'll hear lots of people on here say that they don't move from primary to secondary in a separate container to cut down on the possibility off contamination. I also practice this way of doing things.

Once your primary fermentation is complete as verified by steady gravity readings you can dry hop during or after secondary. I dry hop for five to seven days and this is done during the end of my secondary fermentation. So if my secondary is 14 days, the last 5-7 are for hop.
__________________
I love a good train wreck!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Mitcha_aus
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 14

cool so i could leave my brew in the primary and just leave it in there for a further 14 days and treat it as my secondary without actually moving it into a second fermenter?
thanks for the quick reply

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Panky
 
Panky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Miami, FL
Posts: 27


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcha_aus View Post
cool so i could leave my brew in the primary and just leave it in there for a further 14 days and treat it as my secondary without actually moving it into a second fermenter?
thanks for the quick reply
I dry hop mine after 1 week in the primary but I am fairly new to brewing and I am sure that everyone has their own way. I rack mine into the secondary fermenter to filter it but there are some people that don't use a secondary. That again is personal preference I suppose and would depend on how clear you want your beer to be

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Mitcha_aus
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panky View Post
I dry hop mine after 1 week in the primary but I am fairly new to brewing and I am sure that everyone has their own way. I rack mine into the secondary fermenter to filter it but there are some people that don't use a secondary. That again is personal preference I suppose and would depend on how clear you want your beer to be
So would you move it into secondary before it finishes fermenting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
markcurling
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
London
Posts: 144
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


No don't move it before it finishes.
I don't secondary, I primary for a week or two then stick the dry hops in the primary for a week or two in a bag (attached to a coat hanger to help wedge it in so it doesn't float!), works great.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,964
Liked 3690 Times on 3170 Posts


It's always best to wait till the beer reaches a stable FG & settling out well before dry hopping. I also use hop sacks to keep things clean & contained. The hop oils will coat the settling yeast if the beer is still cloudy. 7-10 days before bottling is the norm.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Mitcha_aus
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 14

Thanks heaps everyone for your help. its much appreciated!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Panky
 
Panky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Miami, FL
Posts: 27


Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It's always best to wait till the beer reaches a stable FG & settling out well before dry hopping. I also use hop sacks to keep things clean & contained. The hop oils will coat the settling yeast if the beer is still cloudy. 7-10 days before bottling is the norm.
Interesting. I might wait longer than a week next time then. My current one is still bubbling every few minutes in the secondary at the moment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,964
Liked 3690 Times on 3170 Posts


Most of the time,1 week in primary is def not long ehough to finish,let alone settle out.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump