Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > kruesan not falling after 2 weeks

Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
iceroadbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kruesan not falling after 2 weeks

Hi all

I am new to home brewing and just like evreything else I decided to dive in all out and did an all grain batch first. I managed to throw together a system piece by piece over the course of 4 months and digest what knowledge I could through these forums, podcasts and a little reading.

The just of it: its been 2 weeks and kreusan has not fell
OG 1.042
danstar nottingham yeast rehydrated (i had problems getting the wort down to 70f through the one pass on the plate chiller) so the rehydrated yeast sat for 40mins. I am aware this isnt good so i took advice from John Palmers book and boiled a little bit of sugar water, added it to the yeast and checked it a while later and it was actively foaming in the measuring cup.

I shook it for aeration for a couple minutes and pitched the yeast at 70f. I then put it in the freezer and it has been ferenting at 64-60f (i know this is low) I have been out of town for the last two weeks because of work and my girlfriend checked on the beer the second day and saw it activley fermenting.

It has been 2 weeks I am still out of town so I got her to throw an ounce of dry hops in and send me a pic. I realize there is a layer of foam on top I am not there to check the gravity and wont be there for one more week, this will be a total of three weeks. Here is a pic

Thanks in advance for any help and I apologize as this has probably been covered before!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-12 21.46.40.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	52299  

Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7075 Times on 5965 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Looks normal to me. Much of the krausen will stick to the sides of the fermenter. If you look close, the krausen has fallen, as you fan see beer throughout the surface area.

It looks like it should, and will be fine whenever you get to bottling. Nice job.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't sweat it, just proceed with your schedule and make sure the gravity is stable (it almost certainly is by this point) before you bottle/keg. Sometimes the krausen hangs around the sides of the fermenter.
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
iceroadbrew
Recipes 

haha! didnt think of the 'trail' it would leave behind! Thanks for calming my fatherly instincts down, I am stuck at a remote mine site for an extra week of overtime, the perfect amount for a week of dry hopping.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
akervin
Recipes 

The "looks like" krausen on the top is probably hop sentiment.

Did you dry hop with pellets, how much did you use?.

If so 9 times out of 10 you will get a film on the top that looks something like krausen.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
iceroadbrew
Recipes 

My girl dry hopped 1oz of pellets last night, they will be in there for a week hopefully enough to settle to the bottom!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
akervin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceroadbrew
My girl dry hopped 1oz of pellets last night, they will be in there for a week hopefully enough to settle to the bottom!
It's probably hops. Every time I dry hop with pellets I get a greenish brown slushy film like layer on top for the first 4-6 days. It finally settled to the bottom for the most part.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used that same yeast in my Irish Stout kit from Midwest. You carboy looks identical to mine.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
iceroadbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the input, I guess when it came down to it I had a vision of what it would look like molded from books, you tube etc. But when push came to shove it was the first batch I ever made so am glad and really stoked you guys think it's alright!