Dunkel stuck at 1030 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dunkel stuck at 1030

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
BrewJob87
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 53
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Why will my dunkel not ferment out!!?!? Brewed over 3 weeks ago... Has been at constant 68 to 70 this whole time.. Pls help
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1222555854.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	52290  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
michael.berta
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 519
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Looking at your malt bill alone I can see that near 20% of the grist isn't fermentable (carapils, dextrose, chocolate malt). I bet that's it. Also you didn't mention anything about oxygen so yeast so I'm assuming that you may have under pitched and not have oxygenated the wort....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #3

Yeah you are a little low on the attenuation at under 60%. The above poster noted some potential issues (however it's news to me that dextrose isn't fermentable). Without knowing more about your process, it's impossible to help.

What yeast strain did you pitch, and how much? How was your yeast handled prior to pitching? How old was it?
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
E-rok
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
tampa, fl
Posts: 45


sorry to change the subject, but, what app is that on the iphone?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
michael.berta
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 519
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Yeah you are a little low on the attenuation at under 60%. The above poster noted some potential issues (however it's news to me that dextrose isn't fermentable). Without knowing more about your process, it's impossible to help.

What yeast strain did you pitch, and how much? How was your yeast handled prior to pitching? How old was it?
Woops!! For some reason I thought it was lactose....My bad...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
corn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
madison, indiana
Posts: 138
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I have a similar issue with an imperial stout, can additional yeast be pitched to finish it out, our is it best to leave as is?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
bigbeergeek
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,089
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
I have a similar issue with an imperial stout, can additional yeast be pitched to finish it out, our is it best to leave as is?
If you decide to pitch additional yeast, make a big starter and pitch it when the yeast is at high krausen --- that's your best bet and knocking a few points off of the beer. Then again, a forced fermentation test will tell you if adding more yeast will be a waste of your time anyway...
__________________
"Good people drink good beer." -HST

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Portland, OR
Posts: 1,564
Liked 165 Times on 151 Posts


Yeast?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,089
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
Yeast?
Good question.
__________________
"Good people drink good beer." -HST

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
corn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
madison, indiana
Posts: 138
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal
Yeast?
according to my numbers I under pitched yeast. now that fermentation should be complete, I am not hitting my anticipated FG. so I was assuming that it is sure to initially under pitching?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump