Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > NB's Caribou Slobber

Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
NocturnalEMT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default NB's Caribou Slobber

Tomorrow will be the one month mark I have had the Caribou Clobber in the primary. My main reasoning for do this is I have had great luck with just leaving my brews in the primary and completely bypassing the secondary. I am yet to have any sediment issues. Do you think it's cool to go ahead and keg this and leave it for a week, or should I just secondary it first. Let me know your thoughts. My keezer is in dire need of another HB.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Old 03-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
iammatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If your keezer has room cold crash the beer for a few days, then transfer to a keg. A month in primary and there really is no reason to secondary unless you are dry hopping or bulk aging.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
NocturnalEMT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

think its cool to transfer it to a keg and cold crash it? or, leave it in the carboy to do this?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
iammatt
Recipes 

I'd leave it in the primary if it will fit, and siphon from that to keg after cold crash. Cold Crashing will help the yeast settle out of the beer if there is much left. You'll want to siphon making sure to keep the end of your siphon off the trub. You could transfer to another keg before cold crashing, but you're increasing the possibility of contamination/oxidation when you do this.

Edit:
Really you'll probably be ok going primary to keg to crash to nother keg for carbonation/serving, as long as you're pushing CO2 from keg 1 to 2 to transfer the beer and are using proper sanitary practices. This is ending up being a lot of work for probably negligible clarity increase. The yeast has had a month to settle out already, just transfer to your serving keg carefully and you probably won't have much difference between it and cold crashing.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes keg it. I wouldn't worry about oxidation. People I'm sure would disagree with me. But I wouldn't bother cold crashing either, as I have done that and then kegged and noticed little to no difference. It's already a month old plus it'll clear out just fine in the keg if you let it sit for bit.

I've got an NB caribou slobber (AG) carb'ing in the keg as I write this. I primaried for a month just like you, then siphoned as gently as I could so as not to introduce too much oxygen. The sample was delicious.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
USMCMatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone made both the extract and the AG versions of this? What were the taste differences between them? Also is Wyeast 1332 the preferred yeast to use?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
NocturnalEMT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, that's the yeast I used, but it comes at an upcharge. From my understanding, it's worth it.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
iammatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMatt View Post
Has anyone made both the extract and the AG versions of this? What were the taste differences between them? Also is Wyeast 1332 the preferred yeast to use?
If you prefer dried or have it at hand US-05 will suffice well.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
NocturnalEMT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is an EXCELLENT beer. I highly recommend, especially poured fresh from the keezer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-18_18-08-39_637[1].jpg
Views:	772
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	53123  

Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
skylor60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That looks yummy just placed my order for 3 of the kits and caribou was one of them