I have to blow off some steam - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I have to blow off some steam

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
D_Ranged_Eskimo

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist View Post
Actually I had 120 in galveston. It was at Yaga's Chili and beer festival. They had it on keg and $5 a pint i wasnt complaining or feeling anything after two of them
That's an amazing deal, considering the 1 time I saw 120 at HEB, they wanted $10.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
tonyc318
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Astoria, Oregon
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Despite some rather idiotic laws, Texas is a decent beer state. Go to an HEB Central Market or Whole Foods. The beer selection is rather amazing. Dogfish Head does distribute to Texas, and I've bought their 120 Minute IPA several times in San Antonio. Unfortunately, Russian River does not distribute to Texas, so you're out of luck there.

As was mentioned above, Oklahoma is downright awful. Even Pennsylvania, despite its geographic advantage with regard to great breweries, is a pretty crappy place to buy beer (no grocery store sales, huge markups for carry out at bars/restaurants, and otherwise stuck with buying cases at a distributor).

As for Oregon...great beer...why can't I pump my own gas?

Every state in the union has unique and crappy laws. Having traveled a lot, I found the TABC goofy, but not crippling.
Good call for the pumping gas! Growing up here I thought it was awesome. Then I went to college out of state. Now I get upset with how long it takes to get gas sometimes. Oh well, it's worth it for living in a great beer state. Also, no sales tax!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #23
DisturbdChemist
I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Between-the-keggerator-and-the-couch, TX
Liked 2799 Times on 1904 Posts

Lucky no sales tax. Down here its 8.25% thought its not as bad as other places. I just grabbed some awesome brews from texas. Can't wait to drink them

Twitter: @dcp006 - Ambidextrous Drinker
Untappd: BiggTexx

Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #24
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Houston, Texas
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I was pretty sure that although DFH distributes to Texas I have never seen 120 listed under Texas. Not saying yall are full of it, but I don't believe it till I see it.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #25
MisterPhoton
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Hillsboro, OR

If someone will point me to info on how to properly ship beer, I'd be more than happy to do a beer trade with you! I'm in the Portland, OR area so I have access to all of the (subjectively) best beers in the country.

On Deck: Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone
Primary & Secondary: Fisticuffs ESB
Conditioning: Four-Leaf Comrade Irish Red Ale, Loch It Down Scottish Heavy 70/-
Drinking: Millennium Falcon Fresh Hopped IPA, Cone of Cold Porter, Drunkin Punkin Imperial Pumpkin Rum Ale, Left Coast Amber Ale

Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #26
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Minnow, North Dakota
Liked 1182 Times on 805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPhoton
If someone will point me to info on how to properly ship beer, I'd be more than happy to do a beer trade with you! I'm in the Portland, OR area so I have access to all of the (subjectively) best beers in the country.
Don't tell them what is in it. I work for UPS and I am amazed what gets shipped inappropriately (or illegally), but personally I don't care what is in the box.

I have seen people use dividers made for shipping bottles, but they can be kind of expensive. Just wrap the bottles individually with bubble wrap and use some tape or packing material to keep the bottles from hitting each other. Then fill the box so it is full of the items and packing material.

The thing that causes most damaged boxes is inappropriate or lack of packing material like packing peanuts to support the sides of the box.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS
The biggest argument against using UPS is the fact that a UPS employee sent me a package using FedEx.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #27
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

I'm up to trade some brews. Just give me a PM.

What i usually do is wrap each bottle with bubble wrap. Tie them together either with tape or rubber band. i usually put the beers in a garbage bag so if they do break they wont get everywhere. I just get a generic box at office depot and pack it tight so they wont move that much. hopefully it will weight less than the max on my kitchen scale. If it does, get a label online and just have to drop it off with no questions asked

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #28
pernox
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Western MA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Dude I live in MA.

We can't even get new magazines for our AKs and ARs here. Let alone mail-order ammo.

I feel your pain in the "WE DON'T SHIP THERE!!@%%!!!" mess.
"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #29
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

what makes us mad is that every state has a different law and rules about everything. We will never know them all

Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Houston, Texas
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist
what makes us mad is that every state has a different law and rules about everything. We will never know them all
Well that goes into whole different subject. Lol