I have to blow off some steam - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I have to blow off some steam

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
DisturbdChemist
I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Between-the-keggerator-and-the-couch, TX
Liked 2796 Times on 1902 Posts

Can you get me a good job like i have down here lol. Though beer laws sucks. i dont want to move out of this state.

Twitter: @dcp006 - Ambidextrous Drinker
Untappd: BiggTexx

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Houston, Texas
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist
There is one about to open in Humble called City Acre about to open up. Definitely get a bottle of Jester King. Its my favorite brewery. I'll be going there Saturday for their Danish Festival.

I wish too. I've been hearing about brew pubs in Denver, California. There is a few in the Austin/San Antonio area but not in Houston yet. Freetails in SA was talking but it didnt work out
You can't buy beer to take with you from these brewpubs right?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
bubbachunk

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist View Post
Can you get me a good job like i have down here lol. Though beer laws sucks. i dont want to move out of this state.
What is a good job if you cant buy good beer!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
You can't buy beer to take with you from these brewpubs right?
Thats the ass backwards in texas. Breweries cant sell on site but can sell in stores. Brewpubs can sell on site but cant sell in stores or "distribute". If the brew pub bottles you can get a bottle. Most of the time they will have growlers you can fill and bring back time and time again. So you can take some home with you. The new bar in Westhiemer called Hay Merchant has growlers you can fill with anything they have on tap and Whole foods on waugh and dallas has it too.

Bubbachunk

Oh i can find some good beer in my area from local breweries and more and more are popping up (hopefully mine some day lol). I'm enjoying these beers and hoping to get a pint of their newest one. Live Oak in Austin has one in the top 50 on Beer advocate. Sucks they dont bottle

Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
D_Ranged_Eskimo

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist View Post
There is one about to open in Humble called City Acre about to open up. Definitely get a bottle of Jester King. Its my favorite brewery. I'll be going there Saturday for their Danish Festival.

I wish too. I've been hearing about brew pubs in Denver, California. There is a few in the Austin/San Antonio area but not in Houston yet. Freetails in SA was talking but it didnt work out
Freetail is up and running and doing very well! They have a pretty solid selection of beer. You can purchase a growler of whatever they have on tap and take it home. The only issue is, they cannot sell off of their place of business. Being a brewpub takes away their ability to sell their products to retail and c-stores.

And what's going on at Jester King? I haven't seen any news about any festivals or tastings over St. Paddys Day weekend, but that sounds interesting.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

It's their Danish Day festival. They are releasing their second jester/mikkeller collaboration called Weasel Rodeo along with other mikkeller beers and their offerings. I'll be in Austin Friday grabing beers and drinking till sunday. My birthday is saturday and i have to be irish and drink all day. Next time i'm in San Antonio i'm hitting up freetails definitely.

I went to their one year anniversery and had a blast.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
D_Ranged_Eskimo

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts

A few friends and myself did a tour of their brewery (along with Thirsty Planet and Independence on the same day) and really enjoyed their setup. They have a great brewing location on what looks like an old equestrian center.

Either way, after touring 3 breweries in the same day, we weren't feeling much pain leaving Jester King.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

When i was going to their brewery I stopped at Thirsty because it was right there. I loved their location and it was a great day though the lines were so long. Once you got your beer you stand in line for your next one. I hoping to tour Hops and grains friday then thirsty/jester sat. It difficult to tour all these breweries. Some are only certain saturdays and others are the same time and i wont make it by myself haha

Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
I am in the same boat. The two beer on top of head that I want but can't get, pliny the elder and 120 min IPA. Texas is a terrible beer state. I wish we could also change the law to allow breweries to sell beer at the brewery. I love to open one with a taste room.
Despite some rather idiotic laws, Texas is a decent beer state. Go to an HEB Central Market or Whole Foods. The beer selection is rather amazing. Dogfish Head does distribute to Texas, and I've bought their 120 Minute IPA several times in San Antonio. Unfortunately, Russian River does not distribute to Texas, so you're out of luck there.

As was mentioned above, Oklahoma is downright awful. Even Pennsylvania, despite its geographic advantage with regard to great breweries, is a pretty crappy place to buy beer (no grocery store sales, huge markups for carry out at bars/restaurants, and otherwise stuck with buying cases at a distributor).

As for Oregon...great beer...why can't I pump my own gas?

Every state in the union has unique and crappy laws. Having traveled a lot, I found the TABC goofy, but not crippling.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

TABC is going off some old dated laws but we are slowly getting them changed what Jester King and Jax did a few months back. I havent seen 120 before down here but i'm not complaining about the selection i have just want to try others i havent seen or highly regarded beers i have read about. Spec's downtown houston off smith is an awesome place to pick up brews. I picked up several dogfish but not every one of them makes it down here or where i look. Actually I had 120 in galveston. It was at Yaga's Chili and beer festival. They had it on keg and $5 a pint i wasnt complaining or feeling anything after two of them