I have to blow off some steam - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I have to blow off some steam

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
DisturbdChemist
I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Between-the-keggerator-and-the-couch, TX
Liked 2799 Times on 1904 Posts

I live in Texas and everyone who lives in this state know how retarded the TABC and the alcohol laws are in this state. Hell they dont even treat wineries and breweries the same. Yeah they are totally different yet make alcohol. So yesterday I try to order some brews i cant get here on a website that is located in St. louis which is close and can get relatively quick. I got some great brews i was really excited for until they cancelled my order and said they cant ship to Texas. They were nice about it and i have no grudge with them but come on Texas why do you have to be such an a-hole. They told me it was off and on with texas. They were told it was alright then all of the sudden get a cease shipping letter. Bi-polar indeed. I wonder if it is easier to ship alcohol along other state lines easier. Hell i'll pay a little extra so i can get those beers or have the opportunity to try beers I'm unable to get in this state. i am hoping the laws will change to make it a little bit easier to aquire other breweries beer without traveling thousands of miles to get them.

Ok end of rambiling.. I wish I had those beers in my hand.

DP

Twitter: @dcp006 - Ambidextrous Drinker
Untappd: BiggTexx

Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
aiptasia

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts

Do a little beer trading. I do it all the time with friends I know around the country. I hook them up with local regional brews and they do likewise. UPS and Fedex allow you to mail liquids if boxed and shipped properly.

Besides, you wouldn't be mailing beer. Oh no. You'd be mailing yeast samples.

I haven't read the Texas laws on beer but, i'm willing to bet they were written to protect beer distributors and local interests. Having lived near Houston for a while, Texas is a weird assed state in many, many ways....

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
509inc

Recipes 

Jan 2010
OKC
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist View Post
I live in Texas and everyone who lives in this state know how retarded the TABC and the alcohol laws are in this state.

DP
It could be worse. You could have to deal with Oklahoma's beer laws.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
bubbachunk

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509inc View Post
It could be worse. You could have to deal with Oklahoma's beer laws.
Yeah Oklahoma is just bizarre and why I head up to Missouri for beer runs since there sure as hell ain't jack in Arkansas.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Houston, Texas
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I am in the same boat. The two beer on top of head that I want but can't get, pliney the elder and 120 min IPA. Texas is a terrible beer state. I wish we could also change the law to allow breweries to sell beer at the brewery. I love to open one with a taste room.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
slomo

Recipes 

Jan 2009
sacramento, ca.
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Yeah Oklahoma is just bizarre and why I head up to Missouri for beer runs since there sure as hell ain't jack in Arkansas.
Yeah I totally agree. I went to this years chilli bowl in Tulsa OK, and I was dumb founded when i discovered that the only cold beer that you could buy was 3.2 % abv. It was weird.
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

You can take a tour of texas breweries and Try "free" samples of their beer. I love this state and been here all my life and just now really getting into the beer scene. I always like tho try new things. Sadly i dont know many people out of state or people into beer like i am and everyone on this site. Sadly its not the northeast where 30 mins you can be in another state. Texas is huge and it takes 3 hours to get into lousiana from Houston and 12 hrs to get to new mexico. I need to start some trading and getting some different beers. Just dont know where to start.

aiptasia your right. These huge national breweries do have a stranglehold on this state and deminish very good and unique breweries from coming in or ordering beer from a website. I can get some Jester King and beers around here. Karbach just started canning or just take a roadtrip and stock up

Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Houston, Texas
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I wish we could have brew pubs like Denver has, it seems so awesome.

I haven't tried jester king yet, I keep walking by it at HEB, but one day I will try it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
DisturbdChemist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011

There is one about to open in Humble called City Acre about to open up. Definitely get a bottle of Jester King. Its my favorite brewery. I'll be going there Saturday for their Danish Festival.

I wish too. I've been hearing about brew pubs in Denver, California. There is a few in the Austin/San Antonio area but not in Houston yet. Freetails in SA was talking but it didnt work out

Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
tonyc318
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Astoria, Oregon
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Move to the land of beer freedom.... Oregon!