Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Ready or Not E-BIAB Here I Come....

Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #141
aubiecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmarty View Post
seems like a great build. To bad the pics aren't showing.
Photobucket malfunction.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #142
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Aubiecat, is this build still working for you? Have you had to replace anything? I'm curious about the SSR. Seems like a lot of other folks are buying from Auber, but your Amazon purchase is about half the price. Definitely a fan of saving some cash.

Primary: Scottish 60/-; Ordinary Bitter; Smoked Wit

Kegged: Rauchbier; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #143
aubiecat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Aubiecat, is this build still working for you? Have you had to replace anything? I'm curious about the SSR. Seems like a lot of other folks are buying from Auber, but your Amazon purchase is about half the price. Definitely a fan of saving some cash.
Sorry it took forever to reply. I don't remember getting a notice of a reply to the build thread.
Everything electrically is still the same and the system as a whole is still he same. The SSR I bought from Amazon is still in perfect working order.
The only thing I had to replace was the sight glass because someone grabbed and it cracked.

I am now acquiring parts to turn it into a RaspberryPi controlled system so I can be even more lazy during brewing than before, if that is possible.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #144
rzwahr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Sorry it took forever to reply. I don't remember getting a notice of a reply to the build thread.
Everything electrically is still the same and the system as a whole is still he same. The SSR I bought from Amazon is still in perfect working order.
The only thing I had to replace was the sight glass because someone grabbed and it cracked.

I am now acquiring parts to turn it into a RaspberryPi controlled system so I can be even more lazy during brewing than before, if that is possible.
Let me know how the raspberry pi option works out, and how much of your existing build as described in this thread can be used (or not) using that option. I was looking at the Brew Boss kit for just the controller and thought maybe that would be an option - which makes me cringe because I am almost done with the build as described in your thread. Already thinking about "next"

Here's the kit to which I am referring - Brew Boss Brain DIY Kit

Has anyone used their system, and if so what were your thoughts? Seemed to get good reviews and to your point would allow you to be more lazy. Or whichever you prefer!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #145
aubiecat
Recipes 

Ah don't sweat it. Get a bunch of brew time on your new built system. It won't take long for you to decide what you do or don't want to do with your brewing process in the future.
I looked at the Brew Boss system and that is a good possible direction to go. I've been looking at RasPiBrew. I like that system because it would allow me to have the option of monitoring/controlling the system from a web browser or my Android phone. I like the idea of building something from scratch, have it come alive and work like it should. I want it to not only control my brewing rig but monitor and run my fermentation cabinets as well.
I haven't yet decided if I need a centrally placed unit or two separate units since I brew in the kitchen but my fermentation area is on the other end of the house.
I will also be adding one or two I.P. cams to the mix so I can visually monitor everything. They are relatively cheap and very easy to set up.
I also do a lot of sous vide cooking and I can use the same interface for that.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #146
rzwahr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Sweet! I am the same. About the time something works as it should I get bored then have to "break" or otherwise improve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 11-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #147
Lisca
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hi terrific job, congratulations.
I am new to brewing, have done two batches of BIAB until now but one question occurred me.
The flow of wort shouldn't pass thru the whole height of the grains, and if so, should just the bottom be punched?
thanks for the beautiful work and sharing all this.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #148
bbohanon
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Aubie, when you did this, what was the total outlay to do this cash/cost wise?

Old 11-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #149
aubiecat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisca View Post
Hi terrific job, congratulations.
I am new to brewing, have done two batches of BIAB until now but one question occurred me.
The flow of wort shouldn't pass thru the whole height of the grains, and if so, should just the bottom be punched?
thanks for the beautiful work and sharing all this.
Thanks Lisca. The way I did the basket is more of a personal preference. I opened the holes to increase the overall flow and I have had good success with it.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #150
aubiecat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohanon View Post
Aubie, when you did this, what was the total outlay to do this cash/cost wise?
I think it's safe to say I spent around $1500.00. That includes some new tools I purchased to complete the project.