My cider smells like rotten eggs - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My cider smells like rotten eggs

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7710 Times on 5416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD69 View Post
Mine still smells like farts after month and a half
I'm not one to say "it's normal, it'll go away". I'm the one who will say that rhino farts in anything except a cider with montrachet yeast (and those are mild) is a sign of stressed yeast.

I'd definitely rack, and add some nutrients and hope it helps. H2S is not a good sign, especially after the first few early days of fermentation.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD69 View Post
Mine still smells like farts after month and a half
If it's Rhinofarts, they usually come an go withing a couple days...and that's in the initial few days of fermentation. If it hasn't gone away it's probably stressed yeast or needed nutrients. Rhinofarts act like normal farts, they fade away.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
skankin_brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Belmont, NC
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So mine still smells after 4 months, what can i add to help things out?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts

I'm thinking there's not much else to do at this point but splash rack the heck out of it and hope for the best. Rack it to another vessel and let is splash on the sides...in the bottom...fling the hose around in the air. If its been 4 months and still smells like sulfur...that's not good. I wouldn't worry about oxidizing it at this point..see if you can salvage something to drink quickly. If splashing does work...pitch it and start new. Or hold your nose and drink till the smell doesn't matter

Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_brews View Post
So mine still smells after 4 months, what can i add to help things out?
Btw...where'd you get that name? Pickle?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #16
LoboViejo
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Mexicali, BajaCalifornia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smells like sulphurs, I purged CO2 with sulphur and injected "new" CO2

taste not so bad, but do you guys recommend leave it for another couple of months?

Old 03-24-2016, 02:09 AM   #17
madscientist451
Recipes 

May 2014
Bedford, Pa
Liked 403 Times on 305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinofarts View Post
I think thats a bit extreme. 6 months is a long time for person who doesnt live forever
Do you know what the yeast was that came with your kit? The traditional way to make cider is to press the apples in late fall, put it up in barrels and when the apple trees blossom in the spring its ready. So 6 months is not extreme for cider. Your cider will be done on its own time, so just go with it and don't fight it.