1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #31
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Liked 86 Times on 74 Posts

I started last year with 5 gallon batches then switched to making a few 2.5 gallon batches and brewed my first three 1 gallon batches last week. I can brew then on the downstairs stove in about 3 hours and I can experiment with them. I am currently trying out a few recipes for a good, light, summer beer and I don't want to have to make 2.5 or 5 gallons at a time! I think 1 gallon batches make you appreciate what little good beer you made, bit also allows for much more variety.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
wmarkw
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Evans, GA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a 1 gallon guy and love it. I have 4 primaries that I try to keep full and rotating batch to batch. I get about 9 to 10 bottles a batch. Sometimes when I taste one I'm like damn I wish I had 2 more cases of this, or like the honey sage beer I did I'm like damn thank gawd I dont have 2 more cases of this. I started with 1 BBS kit like Jeff and I thank those people for getting me started on this awesome hobby and kicking myself I didnt start sooner. I used one their kits and then bought their book and used some of their recipes but mosty get recipes from here and scale them down. I built a MLT which has helped me big time and I like my set up with what I'm doing. I don't drink a ton of beer and the wife and I are trying to cut back. Have not bought any of the BMC stuff since JAN1 and I like having 2-3 of my beers on the weekend and I'm good with that. I love the brewing process and I'm brewing every weekend to keep my pipeline going and have actually learned how to appreciate beers and their flavor profiles. If I was doing 5 gal batches I would see myelf brewing once a month and having to buy new equipment, etc. Who knows; maybe I'll move up one day but with my space and current situation I'm 1 gal for the foreseeable future.

Primary #2 Yooper Ale w/ a hop twist
Primary #3 Lake Front IPA clone
Primary #4 Amber Ale

Bottled: Gaelic Ale Highland Brewing Co. Clone
Bottled: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Bottled: Fruit Looper Ale

QueenOfBattle Likes This 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #33
verbhertz
Recipes 

Oct 2011
St. Paul, MN
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've never considered doing anything less than 5 gallons but I really recognize the experimental potential. I would have a hard time brewing enough in small quantities to keep a pipeline. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, just not enough time in my world. Perhaps 2.5 gallon batches or split 5 gallons with different yeasts, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #34
amd133mhz
Recipes 

Jan 2012
NE, Oh
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I split a 2 gallon batch between two 1 gallon containers. fermented hard core first day. day 2 it looks like it just stopped. very odd,but enjoying this experiment either way it goes.Any ideas why the ferment seems to have slowed significantly in such a short time?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #35
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Sometimes when I taste one I'm like damn I wish I had 2 more cases of this, or like the honey sage beer I did I'm like damn thank gawd I dont have 2 more cases of this
Exactly... One gallon batches are great for experimenting. I've definitely had a few where I was like, whew, glad I don't have 2 more cases of this to drink! When I get something I really like, I just scale it up to a full 5 gallon batch next time. You can accomplish a lot more learning about brewing for a lot less money. Plus, there's nothing worse than having to trudge your way through 50 beers you just don't really like.
I couldn't see keeping my "pipeline" full on solely 1 gallon batches though. I mean I'd have to brew like twice a week or more. Not that I wouldn't love that, but the wife would probably decide my obsession had gone to far...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #36
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd133mhz View Post
I split a 2 gallon batch between two 1 gallon containers. fermented hard core first day. day 2 it looks like it just stopped. very odd,but enjoying this experiment either way it goes.Any ideas why the ferment seems to have slowed significantly in such a short time?
Small batches seem to move along a little faster sometimes IME..

Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Dec 2009
north atlanta
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I've been a 5 gallon guy since the beginning, but I do enjoy the 1 gallon batches for experiments or when I am busy and just need to have something fermenting around the house.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #38
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Houston, Texas
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey
... just need to have something fermenting around the house.
Words of a true brewer

PistolaPete Likes This 
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
Stonewild
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Upstate, SC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Woot! Small batches are the best!

Small batches are great for me because:

1- I have several cheap 1, 2 and 3 gal fermenters. There are plent more where they came from: like the water bottle Idea which was shared above.
2 - I like brewing as much as drinking. Its like creating something new with each batch. Small batchs allow for lots of creation.
3 - A 5 gal AG batch takes me most of a Saturday while a 2 gal AG brew is a short Thurday night.
4 - 2 gal batches work great on my stove top, 5 gal batches require a burner
5 - My back is getting old, 2 gal batches are so much easier on my old bones.
6 - BIAB works great for 1-2 gal AG recipes: another time / equipment saver.
7- Kegging / Bottling 1-2 gal batches is simpler and quicker for me. I'm using my old 1 gal mini-kegs again.

Thanks for the topic,

Stone

Revvy Likes This 
Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #40
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Liked 86 Times on 74 Posts

Just a quick note on this. A member here had the idea of using tap a draft bottles as fermenters. I tried it for 3 batches and it worked great. You can either drill out a cap ajd attach an airlock or use a drilled stopper for a growler. I tried both and the drilled stopper for the growler worked better, but both worked.