Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #3221
cheesecake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary22 View Post
That's awesome. So basically SMaSH just helps build ur palate?
Yup.....and it teaches you what flavors you get out of certain items

Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #3222
sumone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Almost moved into my new house. I already have a used chest freezer lined up to move in and convert to a fermentation chamber. I'm so ready to start brewing again!

LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #3223
schmeek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What is everyone's method regarding yeast for 1 gallon batches? I have some washed yeast in my fridge in pint jars and am wondering how big of a starter I should use to wake up the yeast from dormancy? Or if you use liquid vials, how to you measure that out? Obviously you can weigh dry yeast fairly easily but I've been trying different liquid yeasts lately.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #3224
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 789

You can use the same yeast calculators that you'd use to determine the pitching rate on a 5 gal batch.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-3), Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Lion Cut Kriek

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #3225
Jsslack
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post

Do you use brewing software to calculate the IBU's? It is really easy to overdo it in a one gallon batch.
Yes, i did. It's not overly bitter just not a great flavor. I suppose i could try dialing it back a bit. Has anyone else ever tried a tettnang SMaSH? It's not a widely used hop and im thinking this might be why?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #3226
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsslack

Yes, i did. It's not overly bitter just not a great flavor. I suppose i could try dialing it back a bit. Has anyone else ever tried a tettnang SMaSH? It's not a widely used hop and im thinking this might be why?
Personally, I'd just say that I've tried that one, make notes, and move on.

My recipe would have looked something like this:

Http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/smash-tett

With most of the hops on the end because I usually don't care how well a hop bitters. I want to see its flavor and aroma characteristics.

I've also tried a couple of 'whirlpool' beers lately, where all the hops that would be normally added after 60 minutes were added at flame out instead, then allowed to sit and steep for an hour before chilling. I really liked how they turned out so I might try something like that here also.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #3227
schmeek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I recently racked from my larger primary carboy into separate 1 gallon jugs for some dry hop experimentation but I was a bit short on one of the gallons. How much head space is too much for secondary in a gallon jug? Its just under the bend where it starts to caper at the top, so id say its about 3.25 quarts full. Is that too much air space? I haven't noticed them kicking any air out of the airlock

Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #3228
Gary22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I have a blonde ale (1gallon) in the primary. I plan to rack to secondary with an addition of strawberries. How much strawberries should be added to the secondary? How long should they sit in there to achieve a decent flavor?
New to brewing n this is kind of an experiment n would like some suggestions/knowledge from you guys.
As always. Thank you in advance

Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #3229
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeek View Post
I recently racked from my larger primary carboy into separate 1 gallon jugs for some dry hop experimentation but I was a bit short on one of the gallons. How much head space is too much for secondary in a gallon jug? Its just under the bend where it starts to caper at the top, so id say its about 3.25 quarts full. Is that too much air space? I haven't noticed them kicking any air out of the airlock
Racked what exactly? Different brews have different tendencies to oxidize. Since you said dry hop, I'm going to assume you mean beer. In which case it probably is a bit to much.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #3230
schmeek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yea, sorry. Racked an APA into secondary. I filled another jug to the brim with water and poured out a pint and it looked like about the same level so I had about a pints worth of airspace in the secondary. Does it need to be more like 3 oz of head space? Will this affect the flavor of the beer,or just the time in which it takes to go stale?