Originally Posted by jongrill
Does that help?
That is bigger than the ones I used. I split them lengthwise and scraped the seeds out, then chopped the shell into pieces and put it in a 1/2 cup of vodka for a week. Then dumped it all in the primary. I left it for a week, and it seemed pretty strong at bottling. Haven't tried it yet - next week.
This is the second batch of stout with vanilla because the first one got infected. I think it is because I put the vanilla bean in without vodka - just split it and scraped it and threw it all in secondary. Maybe the bean had bacteria, maybe the secondary or hose did... who knows. But the first batch tasted really strong after 2 weeks, that's why I only did it a week.
So for 1 gallon, that bean might be too much or it might be what you want. Mine was stout, and I don't know how well that masks the flavor compared to something lighter, or if it accentuates it.