Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #2301
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts

I put 4 ice packs at the base of my sink...put in some salt then fill it a couple inches with cold water. Add ice and cool my wort. Its so effective I have to kind of rush to get my yeast ready and everything sanitized or I can easily get my wort into the 50s in only a few minutes, 15 at most
This time of year I just use my pool water. Plenty cold. Fall or spring, I use my pre-chiller because its about the right size for a small batch and in summer, pre--chiller and big chiller while pumping it to the pool. Saves water.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #2302
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrill View Post
Small wort chiller for one gallon batches... Anyone?
I made my own from some copper tubing and some hose, works great, even faster than chilling it out in the snow like I tried last weekend. Wound it around a large PVC pipe coupling so it fit nicely in my pot, put a garden hose fitting on one hose with an adapter I got from Home Depot to attach it to my kitchen faucet, and let the other end drain into the sink. I can post a picture of it later if you'd like.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #2303
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_brew View Post
I do the funnel for cooled wort to fermentor in 1g jug. I have a funnel with strainer from LHBS its a good 8" across big one. 1st time i did it strainer clogged. 2nd time I used my paint strainer bag in funne along with one in funnel and it didnt clog so try that of course all sanitized.
I do the extact same thing, works fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #2304
muleskinner90
Recipes 

My wife tried the NB Irish red ale I brewed. Her first response was that it was very carby. How do I rectify that? Will it get less carbonated the longer it sits in the fridge? I let it condition at room temperature for two weeks. I followed the northern Brewer directions and used their fizz drops.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #2305
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Un-capping and re-capping will bleed off some of the carbonation but you are better off enjoying as they are and doing better on the next batch.

I guess you could also pour in a glass ahead of time and set in the fridge for a while...

Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #2306
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme
...and doing better on the next batch.
What do I need to do differently on the next one?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #2307
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner90 View Post
My wife tried the NB Irish red ale I brewed. Her first response was that it was very carby. How do I rectify that? Will it get less carbonated the longer it sits in the fridge? I let it condition at room temperature for two weeks. I followed the northern Brewer directions and used their fizz drops.
Maybe its just me but thats why I dont use those carb drops, Id rather use a carb calculator or do the math to get the carb volumes I want.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #2308
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner90 View Post
Well the ale shouldn't be WAY too carbonated. But it is true, those drops do carb on the high side. I would think an Irish red would be at 2.2 -2.4 PSI. The drops are probably 2.6-3.0.

Hats off to your wife for catching that though.

Next time: acquire some priming sugar, do the measurements (there are plenty of online calcs to help), boil 1 cup of water, mix in the sugar, rack beer on top of solution, (stirring GENTLY is optional), bottle away!
Drinking - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild, various craft brews

Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #2309
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4

Next time: acquire some priming sugar, do the measurements (there are plenty of online calcs to help),
What exactly do I measure? Also, racking means combining, correct?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #2310
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Fill in the blanks on this http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html
And racking in this case is siphoning from your fermenter to bottling bucket.