1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! - Page 189 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #1881
bellmtbbq
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Pennington, NJ
Posts: 564
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts


Has anyone ever used Munich in an American pale/brown ale? I have a pound laying around that I need to use


__________________
Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #1882
mikegee
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 13

Doing my first 1 gal experimental batch this week. Used the recipe converter on beersmith to make it smaller. I've only ever used yeast smack packs and the converter tells me to use Two grams of dry yeast. Two questions. Does that sound like enough? And do I just drop the dry yeast in or should I hydrate it first?

Cheers!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #1883
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, California
Posts: 1,135
Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq
Has anyone ever used Munich in an American pale/brown ale? I have a pound laying around that I need to use
Sure, Munich with fuggles, Willamette, Saaz the list goes on. Munich is very malty so just keep that in mind.
__________________
Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1884
Calichusetts
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,990
Liked 490 Times on 293 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
Has anyone ever used Munich in an American pale/brown ale? I have a pound laying around that I need to use
Everytime...LOVE Munich. In my last two brews (Pale Ale, IPA) I did 20% Munich in each. I'm a big hop head so having a stronger malt helps to create some balance. Adds a nice orange color to it as well

BorealBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #1885
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jwalk4's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Posts: 925
Liked 160 Times on 130 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegee View Post
Doing my first 1 gal experimental batch this week. Used the recipe converter on beersmith to make it smaller. I've only ever used yeast smack packs and the converter tells me to use Two grams of dry yeast. Two questions. Does that sound like enough? And do I just drop the dry yeast in or should I hydrate it first?

Cheers!
Hydrating yeast is a personal thing. Some guys say its a must, some guys report better results, others will say it doesn't matter either way. Personally, I don't hydrate and get good results.

Yes, 2 grams sounds about right for any beer that's 1.060 OG and under for a 1 Gallon batch.
__________________
Fermenter 1 - Vienna /Saaz SMaSH
Fermenter 2 - Dry as a bone
Drinking - various craft brews, Tiny Bottom PA
Beer styles I'm trying to nail down: APA, Porter, Mild, Amber, & Something Yellow and Fizzy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #1886
BorealBrewer
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 255
Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts


How do you other 1-gallon folks deal with liquid yeast? I'd like to expand my one-gallon horizons beyond what I can do with dry yeast.

Specifically, I'm wondering about Wyeast smackpacks. Do you pitch the whole thing? Do you save some? If so, how?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
__________________
Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #1887
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Northwest Indiana/Chicago
Posts: 519
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBrewer View Post
How do you other 1-gallon folks deal with liquid yeast? I'd like to expand my one-gallon horizons beyond what I can do with dry yeast.

Specifically, I'm wondering about Wyeast smackpacks. Do you pitch the whole thing? Do you save some? If so, how?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
I haven't used wyeast since I started doing small batches, but the first thought that came to mind was to have a small mason jar with some starter wort in it and pitch what you need and put the rest in the jar and place the jar in the fridge until you need it again. Just make sure everything is sanitized very well.
__________________
Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

BorealBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #1888
Leadgolem
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 973 Times on 741 Posts


Since there was some interest, I tasted the fermented maple syrup today. It doesn't taste bad, but I didn't get a hint of maple from it. It is possible that this is because it is very young and the strong alcohol flavor is overwhelming it.

I'm going to age some to be sure, but my first impression was watered vodka. Disappointing.

A simultaneous batch I was running was cranberry wine. Just ocean spray cranberry juice with some sugar to up the gravity. Nicely smooth, and a nice cranberry flavor. Pleasantly surprised this time. I expected this to go horribly sour with the sugar fermented out. If anything, the impression of the sour cranberry flavor has mellow a great deal.

It's still to young really, but I put a couple bottle away to age. It should be fantastic in a few months.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #1889
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, California
Posts: 1,135
Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem

A simultaneous batch I was running was cranberry wine. Just ocean spray cranberry juice with some sugar to up the gravity. Nicely smooth, and a nice cranberry flavor. Pleasantly surprised this time. I expected this to go horribly sour with the sugar fermented out.
Dude... That sounds like hooch! Lol
__________________
Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #1890
Leadgolem
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 973 Times on 741 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Dude... That sounds like hooch! Lol
Meh, it finished at 10.4% abv. I've made way stronger stuff.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallon markings for 7 gallon plastic primary fermenter scone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 03-15-2014 07:16 PM
York, Harrisburg and Lancaster Pennsylvania Brewers Unite ENS Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 06-24-2013 11:28 PM
Is 1 gallon of head space in a 5 gallon carboy secondary OK or not OK? msa8967 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 09-08-2011 01:53 AM
Justed Racked my first brew and appear to be low 1/2-1 gallon in 5 gallon carboy. Brandow Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-15-2011 05:23 PM
5 gallon batch + 5 gallon primary fermenter = good noisy123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-30-2008 11:45 AM


Forum Jump