This is my first brew.
I would like to try this strawberry cabana mead recipe.
Here is what I plan on doing, but any help/input would be awesome.
- add three pounds honey to brew pot w/ 1/2 gal of water
- add 3.6 - 4 pounds strawberries (tops cut and berries chopped)
- add 0.8 - 1 pound of bananas(chopped)
- add 1 tsp yeast nutrient
- Stir Brew pot
- pour brew pot into primary fermenter
- put airlock onto fermenter ( doing this to avoid anything getting in)
- let sit for 12-24 hrs
- Put boiled water into glass cup.
- Put glass cup into cool water and allow water in cup to cool to 60-80F
- add 1 tbsp sugar to water and stir
- add yeast to sugar/water (plan on using Lalvin 1cv/d-47) *
- cover cup about 45 min - 1 hour then add to fermenter
- wait 1 week then rack (I heard you do this to get the must from all the sediment at the bottom, which leaves an off taste if left in. Any truth to this?)
- Ferment for 3 more weeks then rack again.
- Ferment for 3-4 weeks then enjoy/bottle
* The recipe called for Lalvin 71b-1122 ( I just figured the one I picked was for for mead, input?)
This is is my first time doing this, I've read up on things here and there so I hope i didn't miss too much. I will be taking hydrometer readings (thinking only a OG reading and a FG reading total).
ANY Input or help at all is very much appreciated.