Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ball Lock or Pin Lock

Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
KDKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ball Lock or Pin Lock

I'm looking to get a kegging system. Is there a big difference between the two. I find that most feedback is biased because some like one and not the other. They're roughly the same price. Is one easier to find or repair? What's the deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
LMGK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Figure which fits best with your fridge/ kegerator situation/ set up. Pins usually short and stout. Balls usually tall and slim. You can convert each to the other. If u can fit 4 pins and only 3 ball or vs verse etc...

KDKid Likes This 
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As the ball locks are slim, it's easier to fit many of them in less floorspace than with pin-locks, but as pin-locks are short, there are probably more refrigerators and freezers that you could use with minimal/no modification for at least _some_ kegs. A lot of compact fridges you find on the shelf simply aren't tall enough, and if you only want to fit one keg, pin lock would be the easy fix- but if it's a couple inches taller, you might be able to fit 2 or 3 ball-locks there (provided the freezer/compressor hump allow)

I think it's safe to say that ball locks are somewhat more popular, so you'll see the kegs themselves often run $5-10 more apiece.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 841 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 476

You do need a special socket (or at least make your own) to get the pin lock fittings off the keg. If you don't have the deep sockets for the ball locks any way....then it is pretty much a wash. I would have gone pin but I already had a couple ball when I started kegging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS
The biggest argument against using UPS is the fact that a UPS employee sent me a package using FedEx.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjonguy
You do need a special socket (or at least make your own) to get the pin lock fittings off the keg. If you don't have the deep sockets for the ball locks any way....then it is pretty much a wash. I would have gone pin but I already had a couple ball when I started kegging.
I have pin locks and I can use the open end of a wrench to get the posts off. I believe it's a 13/16.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Is the pressure relief value different between the two and is that a consideration?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pin lock kegs do not have pressure relief valves.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
sniperd
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Is the pressure relief value different between the two and is that a consideration?
Ball locks have them, and pin locks don't. That was why I went with ball locks. To degass a pin you can take the gas-in connection off and press down with a screwdriver or something I'd guess. And I guess after you put pressure on the keg there isn't an easy way to 'burp' the O2 out of the key w/o some game of pressure, screwdriver degas, pressure, screwdriver degas, etc. I just couldn't see any pro for pin locks vs ball locks. I guess if somebody gave me a pin lock for free I would have went in that direction? Or if my fridge had some height restriction? People use them, must be a good reason.

And as it turns out for me, I can fit 6 ball locks exactly in my fridge if I had to. I never thought I would do that, I was just going to have 1 keg on tap. You know where the story goes, well, now I have 4 on tap, 1 that is 'on deck' cold conditioning/carbing and my nitro tank all in the fridge. My c02 sits outside the fridge.

Oh kegging.. how you have ruined my wallet.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
weekapaug19
Recipes 

I tried looking up dimentions but am horrible with the search button. I got an old GE mini-fridge (with freezer I'll need to remove somehow) I want to convert. Anybody know the dimentions of each ball and pin lock kegs with fittings at the top? thanks for the help/advice

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 187

ball, because they still make them.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless