Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting Kolsch 2565 Question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State..., WI
Posts: 1,805
Liked 136 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Fermenting Kolsch 2565 Question

Last weekend 3/3/12, my buddy and I made a 10 gallon batch of some cream ale using Wyeast 2565. We split the batch and I took it home with me. The initial OG reading was 1.052 for both of us and I keep my basement at about 63-64F - On Sunday, I needed a blowoff tube because of a very vigorous fermentation.

Today (6 days later) I racked to a secondary and took a gravity reading. It was at 1.006

My buddy says he is fermenting at 58F and he is still having some airlock activity. I wanted to know if I had too high of a temperature, or is he too low of a fermenting temp? Also, if I should be fine with how fast my yeast worked. I am planning on leaving it sit in the secondary for at least another week or possibly 2, then to bottle.

Thoughts?


JonGrafto is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Darwin18's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 4,793
Liked 793 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Default

Honestly, I would have left it in primary for at least another week. Fermentation might be done, but the yeast can still clean the beer up for a bit.

I brewed a Kolsch last weekend as well with 2565. Pitched a starter and had fermentation going after a couple hours. I'm planning on leaving it in primary for another week or two before I transfer to a keg and put it on gas.


Darwin18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Biobrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 222
Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I just racked a Spotted Cow clone into a keg and I had used this yeast. My OG was 1.053. I fermented for 8 days at 62F and secondaried for 10 days at 64F.

My final gravity was 1.013, which is 75.5% apparent attenuation, which is spot on for the yeast and style. Your final gravity would yield an apparent attenuation of about 88.6%, which is fairly high, but I don't think anything to worry about. I suspect that you simply mashed at the low end of the spectrum, resulting in more fermentability of your wort. Just means your beer will be a little drier.

So far as a comparison to your friend, you did not mention a gravity reading for him, which makes comparing impossible. Airlock activity is not necessarily an indication of fermentation. Fermentation could be done, and if the beer heated up a little bit, it will release dissolved CO2.

That being said, all I can say is I have used this strain before, and always at 62F-64F with very good results. I would say you have nothing to worry about, and your temp was right in the middle of the range recommended by Wyeast. I am sure your friend is fine too, as I have friends who have fermented this a little cooler (< 60F) with good results. I would go ahead and bottle yours though after a week or two in secondary. I can't imagine the beer will get any drier.

Biobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State..., WI
Posts: 1,805
Liked 136 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biobrewer
I just racked a Spotted Cow clone into a keg and I had used this yeast. My OG was 1.053. I fermented for 8 days at 62F and secondaried for 10 days at 64F.

My final gravity was 1.013, which is 75.5% apparent attenuation, which is spot on for the yeast and style. Your final gravity would yield an apparent attenuation of about 88.6%, which is fairly high, but I don't think anything to worry about. I suspect that you simply mashed at the low end of the spectrum, resulting in more fermentability of your wort. Just means your beer will be a little drier.

So far as a comparison to your friend, you did not mention a gravity reading for him, which makes comparing impossible. Airlock activity is not necessarily an indication of fermentation. Fermentation could be done, and if the beer heated up a little bit, it will release dissolved CO2.

That being said, all I can say is I have used this strain before, and always at 62F-64F with very good results. I would say you have nothing to worry about, and your temp was right in the middle of the range recommended by Wyeast. I am sure your friend is fine too, as I have friends who have fermented this a little cooler (< 60F) with good results. I would go ahead and bottle yours though after a week or two in secondary. I can't imagine the beer will get any drier.
So next time should I mash in at a higher temperature??
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
Looks like a zombie took a dump in your bucket after a night of binging on hot arse and cabbage.
JonGrafto is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Biobrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 222
Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
So next time should I mash in at a higher temperature??
Depends on what your temp was. I mashed at 152F for 60 minutes, and ended up with an final gravity of 1.013, down from an OG 1.052. I also had some crystal and flaked corn, whose sugars are not as fermentable. So, hard to comment on your process without knowing your grainbill and mash temp.
Biobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State..., WI
Posts: 1,805
Liked 136 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biobrewer View Post
Depends on what your temp was. I mashed at 152F for 60 minutes, and ended up with an final gravity of 1.013, down from an OG 1.052. I also had some crystal and flaked corn, whose sugars are not as fermentable. So, hard to comment on your process without knowing your grainbill and mash temp.
I made a Spotted Cow Clone.. I mashed in at 154 and after an hour temp was 152

Here is the grain bill I used:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.78 %
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
3.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 17.07 %
1.0 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
1.0 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.70 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
1.0 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.0 Whirlfloc Tablets (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)
JonGrafto is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Biobrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 222
Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
I made a Spotted Cow Clone.. I mashed in at 154 and after an hour temp was 152

Here is the grain bill I used:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.78 %
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
3.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 17.07 %
1.0 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
1.0 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.70 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
1.0 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.0 Whirlfloc Tablets (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)
That is interesting. That is fairly close to the recipe I made, but your attenuation was baller. Are you sure you read the hydro correctly? I suppose I have heard of people getting unusually high attenuation sometimes, but the only time I usually get into the upper 80's for apparent attenuation is using a strain like Wyeast 3711 (French Saison), for which I usually get ~90% apparent attenuation.
Biobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State..., WI
Posts: 1,805
Liked 136 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biobrewer View Post
That is interesting. That is fairly close to the recipe I made, but your attenuation was baller. Are you sure you read the hydro correctly? I suppose I have heard of people getting unusually high attenuation sometimes, but the only time I usually get into the upper 80's for apparent attenuation is using a strain like Wyeast 3711 (French Saison), for which I usually get ~90% apparent attenuation.
I know.. Boggling, huh?!?! I will take another reading in about a week to see where she is at... I will also have my brewing buddy take his reading when he transfers over as well, just to compare.
JonGrafto is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yankee Hill, CA
Posts: 1,542
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I just kegged a Kolsch last night using the same strain. Went from 1.050 to 1.007, 2565 is pretty aggresive during fermentation. Everytime I've used it , it shows a lot of vigorous activity. This beer seems to be pretty good, has the classic fruity esther profile that you would expect for a Kolsch. I think you'll be ok.
__________________
Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter
Yankeehillbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
bethebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 491
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
Last weekend 3/3/12, my buddy and I made a 10 gallon batch of some cream ale using Wyeast 2565. We split the batch and I took it home with me. The initial OG reading was 1.052 for both of us and I keep my basement at about 63-64F - On Sunday, I needed a blowoff tube because of a very vigorous fermentation.

Today (6 days later) I racked to a secondary and took a gravity reading. It was at 1.006

My buddy says he is fermenting at 58F and he is still having some airlock activity. I wanted to know if I had too high of a temperature, or is he too low of a fermenting temp? Also, if I should be fine with how fast my yeast worked. I am planning on leaving it sit in the secondary for at least another week or possibly 2, then to bottle.

Thoughts?
I think your ferment temperature was likely a few degrees higher than your 63 F basement temperature. Your buddy is on the right track with that yeast at 58-60 F. Seems you may be done with ferment. Letting it sit a while particularly if you can get it somewhere cooler may help with your flavor.



bethebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wyeast Kolsch 2565 Lager Questions Delaney Fermentation & Yeast 8 02-09-2012 11:39 PM
Question about Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast LarsonLE Fermentation & Yeast 2 01-04-2012 01:18 PM
wyeast 2565 Kolsch taurean Fermentation & Yeast 1 08-08-2011 12:10 AM
Kolsch yeast 2565 MW66 Fermentation & Yeast 12 07-25-2011 07:56 PM
Wyeast Kolsch 2565 Starter LarsonLE Fermentation & Yeast 9 02-16-2011 07:04 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS