Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Batch Sparging?

I am assuming that the grains will hold on to a decent amount of water after the sparge. Is there a formula for figuring this out? (like... x pounds of grain = the water that is left in the tun). The reason I ask is I want to have enough mash in the pot at the end.
I am also assuming that with a FG batch there is no need to add additional water to the mash for the boil.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Dog
I am assuming that the grains will hold on to a decent amount of water after the sparge. Is there a formula for figuring this out? (like... x pounds of grain = the water that is left in the tun). The reason I ask is I want to have enough mash in the pot at the end.
I am also assuming that with a FG batch there is no need to add additional water to the mash for the boil.
Grains will absorb between 1/10 and 1/8 gallons of water per lb of grain; plus you'll lose whatever "dead space" you have in the bottom of your tun (in my cooler, it's about a quart). So for a 10-lb mash I figure 1.25 gal lost (10 lbs x 0.1 gal/lb, plus the dead space).

You shouldn't need to add water for the boil when batch sparging, b/c there's very little risk of the pH changes you get at the tail end of a fly sparge where you start picking up tannins. As long as you dial in the calc above for your system, you should get the amount you want in your kettle.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

This is great for things like that. It got me through my first AG session
www.howtobrew.com