Adding whole leaf hops to carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
Dry hopping with whole leaf, but how do you get them in without clogging funnel.

one way is to use a bucket for the secondary rather than a carboy, then use a nylon bag to hold the hops.

I make a large funnel out of a piece of paper, and push the hops through with a chopstick.

I always use a nylon bag, a bit tricky to fit through the neck of the carboy - but much easier than stuffing hops through a funnel if that's what you had in mind. :)

bruin_ale said:
I always use a nylon bag, a bit tricky to fit through the neck of the carboy - but much easier than stuffing hops through a funnel if that's what you had in mind. :)

How do you get the bag out?

Yooper said:
Funnel? I just take them and put them in. It's still a bit of a pain, but it means no clogging.

Using your hands or spoon. Sanitzed?

How do you get the bag out?

The bag has strings to tie it shut, I tie floss to the bag strings and hang the floss out of the neck of the carboy. I also use the floss method when I dry hop in the keg (which I mostly do now because it's easier to put in and remove), I can hang the floss outside the keg and actually pressurize and carb while dry hopping.

Well, I tried the nylon bag. I found it too difficult to fit through the carboy opening with an ounce of whole leaf hops.

So I tried using my hands. This was too messy (at least for me).

I went back to using the funnel and tried out the chopstick. This worked best.

I dumped the whole bag of hops into the funnel and simply pushed them through with the stick. Good idea.

Thanks!

Back