Candy Cane Wine - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine Recipes > Candy Cane Wine

Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

honestly i've bottled and forgotten about this one, so it's been bottle aging for a little while, i've given a few away as gifts this past week and seeing your email made me throw a bottle in the fridge last night. i'll post back when i've had a chance to taste it, when i bottled it, the taste was strong peppermint with a hint of chocolate. i'll post again tonight or tomorrow with my tastes.. has anyone else made this?

so i've attached a copy of the original recipe i followed.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/...-julies-35780/

IYAOYAS Likes This 
Old 12-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
IYAOYAS
Recipes 

Jun 2013
Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms View Post
honestly i've bottled and forgotten about this one, so it's been bottle aging for a little while, i've given a few away as gifts this past week and seeing your email made me throw a bottle in the fridge last night. i'll post back when i've had a chance to taste it, when i bottled it, the taste was strong peppermint with a hint of chocolate. i'll post again tonight or tomorrow with my tastes.. has anyone else made this?

so i've attached a copy of the original recipe i followed.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/...-julies-35780/
? any news

Old 12-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Fort Dodge, Iowa

Honestly it's not my favorite. I've tried tweaking this a few different ways. My father in law really likes it. So it's probably one of those to each their own. The taste now has a calmer mint with a more pronounced chocolate flavor which chocolate is tough to get right. Sorry if I can't help more

Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #14
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Fort Dodge, Iowa

upon second tasting of this I think my problem with this one is the chocolate, the peppermint is refreshing both on the nose and the palate, but the aftertaste is one of bitter chocolate, In my recipe I used ghirardeli chocolates left on the wine for 6-9 months. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a different sweeter chocolate left for a shorter period of time so that the chocolate was only a hint or afterthought, instead of being so overpowering.

I hope this helps
Ben

Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Weaves
Recipes 

Aug 2015
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A few questions:
1) so i take it the candy canes make up most of your sugar?
2) did you let them sit and desolve in the concentrate or melt them with a double broiler?
3) was any water added to bring it up to the 3gallon mark or is that what 54 melted candy canes does? 4)would adding more canes make the taste stronger or just add to alcohol content?

Old 09-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Fort Dodge, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaves View Post
A few questions:
1) so i take it the candy canes make up most of your sugar?
2) did you let them sit and desolve in the concentrate or melt them with a double broiler?
3) was any water added to bring it up to the 3gallon mark or is that what 54 melted candy canes does? 4)would adding more canes make the taste stronger or just add to alcohol content?
if I remember right on this one I started with a gallon or so of water, brought it to a nice rolling boil then started adding canes to it, most of your sugar comes from the canes, but you can add sugar before the yeast to raise the SG. the canes dissolved in the boiling water. house smelled amazing. I did add water to bring this to the 3 gallon mark. more canes would probably do both raise the %alc, and stronger taste. if I try this again this winter i'll try it without chocolate, and just do a peppermint wine.

good luck!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #17
Weaves
Recipes 

Aug 2015
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks I appreciate the detail, I'm actually looking to make a cotton candy wine in the future and thought altering your recipe with cotton candy candy canes might do the trick

Old 09-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Cohutta, GA
Liked 368 Times on 292 Posts

Has anyone thought about using cocoa nibs in the secondary instead of baker's chocolate?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #19
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Fort Dodge, Iowa

let me know how the cotton candy works out!!

newsman, the first time I did this recipe it was before I started brewing beer. I think If I did it again that would be the way to go. the baker's chocolate was a bit messy and bitter
in my opinion

Old 09-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #20
Weaves
Recipes 

Aug 2015
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately I won't be able to start til December but will do!