Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Brewing on a PLC - Wiring Diagram

Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

^^^Dang. I need to stop working so much and get to this years Automation Fair. I missed the last 2 years.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
joenads
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This may be a little , but I used to do a lot of VHDL design for FPGAs while I was in school and always heard that it was similar to PLC. Do you have experience with both and/or do you know how similar they are? Unfortunately, my job has me pushing a lot of paper and hardly any engineering design so I have fallen out of doing the cool stuff but was just curious.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
This is a good starting point.
http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...d006userm.html

The DL06 is very basic in regards to programming and can be a little bit of a PITA for anyone not familiar with ladder logic. RsLogix is much more user friendly IMHO but the DirectSoft Software cannot be beat considering the price.

Here is a link to a download to Directsoft
http://support.automationdirect.com/demos.html#ds5

Download and play with it as that is the best way to learn. The only limitation to the free version is that it only allows 100 words of logic but other than that it has all the features.
THANKS for the links!

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #24
wubears71

Recipes 

I made some good progress the past few days. All the 120/240 is wired except for one terminal and the ground to the cabinet and I just started the 24VDC wiring. Once that is complete I will start my continuity checks and then fire it up to do a panel checkout.

I had to move some stuff around from my original design to accommodate the bottom receptacles as their depth was greater than my original specs. Also I arranged things to keep all low voltage in the right raceway and all 120/240 in the left raceway.

This has really been a fun project.

I also decided to use the Advanced HMI as a basis but am in the process of writing some custom code to better satisfy my needs. It however is one excellent starting point.

Finally, I picked up a great working freezer yesterday on CL for $25 that I will use as my fermentation chamber. Right now I'm debating whether or not to bring it into the PLC or use a local Love controller. I'm leaning towards a local controller since we will be moving in a year or so, so there is no guarantee it will be anywhere near my panel.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenads View Post
This may be a little , but I used to do a lot of VHDL design for FPGAs while I was in school and always heard that it was similar to PLC. Do you have experience with both and/or do you know how similar they are? Unfortunately, my job has me pushing a lot of paper and hardly any engineering design so I have fallen out of doing the cool stuff but was just curious.
Kinda, VHDL is a more scriptic sytax language than a ladder or block logic of a plc. IMO VHDL is a little harder to lean due to having to have a knowledge of a language such as C and understanding gates as opposed to a simple I/O concept. If you have a good understanding of VHDL and Gate Arrays, PLC coding should be a walk in the park.

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."
preinke Likes This 
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
wubears71

Recipes 

The Blichmann Kettles finally arrived yesterday and I got them all set up except for the Herms coil. I went to install it and I realized I had male NPT compression fittings and I needed Female ones. Hopefully by this weekend I can fire it up and do a leak test.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
wubears71

Recipes 

The control panel is done and mounted. I was hoping to run water this weekend but am waiting on one more fitting for the Herms coil.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice! But you forgot all the buttons & switches!

Kal

Old 04-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
wubears71

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Nice! But you forgot all the buttons & switches!

Kal
I knew I forgot something.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
wubears71

Recipes 

Things are nearly complete. All I'm waiting on now is a new Herms Coil and I totally destroyed the one I coiled myself. The coiling went fine, but the installation not so much. I have a new one on order directly from Kal's site.

In the mean time, I started putting together the HMI. I'm using the freeware Advanced HMI package, which works great!

Here is a screen shot of the main display that I Started putting together. Last night I was doing some testing by recirculating water with the Wort Pump. It works great.