Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I am an idiot

Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Just-a-Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default I am an idiot

So... yeah. Second time I've done this. Total moron.

I was brewing up an extract kit of wheat beer, and I added about a pound of wheat DME (Muntons) after steeping in 1/2 lb of wheat grains (not in the kit, I added both). Boiled for 40 mins, etc. Then was read to move to the FV... and after cooling with the wort chiller (206 to mid-70's in less than 15 mins), I realized I forgot to add the stupid hop pellets. So I dumped them in the FV, then poured the chilled word on top of it all. Then pitched and closed up.

What will be the impact of no hop pellets until after chilling, and tossing in the pellets at the end? Anything?

Stupid is me!!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

Are you saying you didn't put any hops in the boil? And why are you only boiling for 40 minutes?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Just-a-Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Are you saying you didn't put any hops in the boil? And why are you only boiling for 40 minutes?
Yes, no hops into the boil. (Like I said, idiot.)

The kit instructions said boil 20-30 mins. I actually boiled close to an hour, adding first the DME, then one can of LME (wheat) then another can, along the way.

But yeah, no hops in the boil.

Edit: I actually boiled the water first then steeped the grains (not included in the kit) for 30 mins, then boiled again, then added the DME, then started the timing. FWIW.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Ok, your beer is not going to get any IBU's from just throwing in the pellets after you boil. For the record you need to boil the bittering hops for 60 minutes to get proper bittering. That does not include flavor and aroma hops. This batch isn't going to work out for you. If it was me I would boil the entire batch for 60 mins again (hops and all), which will kill the yeast. Then after cooling it you could throw it back into the fermentor and top it back up to 5 gallons with bottled water and then pitch any ale yeast you might have or can get your hands on..

Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Just-a-Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, Stauffbier. I appreciate the help.

So...is it basically that without boiling hops in the wort, beer doesn't work? It's obviously a huge pain to re-boil the entire thing. I'd almost rather toss it and start over. Just wondering what actually happens when you don't boil hops in the boil...?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Time to take a step back and read some more on this forum, but I agree with Stauffbier in trying to salvage this batch and get some bitterness in there.

Since this has happened twice, it seems like it is time for a better brew day procedure. I like to lay out all my ingredients in bowls with little notes under them for when they should be added. I put them left to right so the things that go in first are on the left and the last additions are on the right. This way, you should be able to work your way through the boil and not miss anything. I also would recommend taking notes during the brew day. I think forcing yourself to jot down time of additions/amounts/etc. will help you remember everything.

Most of all... RDWHAHB

Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy View Post
Thanks, Stauffbier. I appreciate the help.

So...is it basically that without boiling hops in the wort, beer doesn't work? It's obviously a huge pain to re-boil the entire thing. I'd almost rather toss it and start over. Just wondering what actually happens when you don't boil hops in the boil...?
If you don't boil the bittering hops for 60 minutes you don't extract the proper acids and oils from the hops that help to give beer it's bitter taste. Without the bittering hops your beer will taste very malty and sweet. It won't taste anything like beer without the bittering hops. It will taste more like a malty/molasses type flavor.. If it was me I wouldn't toss it. It can likely be saved. You could possibly even boil hops in water for an hour and make a "hop tea" that you can stir into your wort, but do it asap!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Mainer28
Recipes 

Guy, you aren't going to have any bitterness to balance the malt, it would be difficult to drink in quantity.

You could (and I've never done this) boil your hops in a couple cups of water, strain out the hops and dump the hops infused cooled liquid into your fermenter.

Just a thought.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Just-a-Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well...I already dumped the hop pellets into the FV (cold). So I don't even have any hops to put into it. I have some Cascade whole leaf hops in the freezer, but I'm guessing that's not the right kind of hops for this, even assuming a late-added "hop tea" might work. I think I'll dump the damn thing and start over tomorrow.

And yeah, it's time to develop some better methods. This is ridiculous. It's not even so much the money, but the time and effort. Sheesh.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the honest help.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy View Post
Well...I already dumped the hop pellets into the FV (cold). So I don't even have any hops to put into it. I have some Cascade whole leaf hops in the freezer, but I'm guessing that's not the right kind of hops for this, even assuming a late-added "hop tea" might work. I think I'll dump the damn thing and start over tomorrow.

And yeah, it's time to develop some better methods. This is ridiculous. It's not even so much the money, but the time and effort. Sheesh.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the honest help.
Hell I'd use the Cascades! Dumping a batch is a mortal sin! haha. But seriously.. You could also try scooping out the hops from the fermentor if it's a bucket. Then use them to boil up a hop tea.