water for home brew beers - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > water for home brew beers

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
pmzjr69
Recipes 

Dec 2011
North Grafton, Mass

For 5 gallon beer brewing, Do I need to to boil all of the water before start brewing? I do partial mash with some gallons in fermentation bucket to pitch yeast.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Liked 1512 Times on 1244 Posts

For extract brewing I had success adding Brita filtered water in the boil kettle as per the instructions and then topping off the fermenter to 5 gallons using more filtered water.

I have read some posts where they boil the amount needed and cool it. At least the top off portion but I think that is unnecessary unless you have bad water.

Others brew with bottled spring water.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
BLTalpos
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Troy, Michigan

Depends on your water quality. I use city water from the faucet and have never had a problem. I've heard some people need to boil if they use well water that might have some bacteria in it.

If you're talking about boiling it for the actual brewing, that's not necessary for extract brewing. Most recipes will call for 1-3 gallons of water. After brewing you can top off the wort to 5 gallons (using cold water will help cool the wort faster too).

Hope this helps!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

Of the water taste good you are fine. No need to boil BEFORE mini mashing. HOWEVER. Using RO or distiller water and then building the water to a style is just another tiny thing you can do to make better beer.

Brew science forum Primer stickie is great

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2010
Seattle, WA
Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

I throw in a campden tablet to rid the water of chlorine and chloramine

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
AdamPag
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Glen Cove, NY
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Im switching to using only pre-boiled and chilled top off water. We have excellent water on long island, however I just had a dunkel come out less than perfect with a bitey chloriney aftertaste that I just cant chalk up to anything but the water.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
idahobrew
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Post Falls, Idaho
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just did my second batch of extract. I used 2.5 gallons of tap water, boiled, comes from a huge aquafir (underground well water) in n. idaho. Then finished the 5 gallon batch off with bottled spring water. Last batch I used all bottled spring water. I think my tap water is pretty good but I can get spring water for .88 cents a gallon. I'm thinking the boil will kill everything in the tap water and then use the bottled spring water to bring the batch up to your 5 gallons. I'm new to this so please correct me if wrong.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
AdamPag
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Glen Cove, NY
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

We have an aquafir where I am also, its not only about sterilizing the water, its also about boiling off any mineral compounds that already exist in the water naturally, or added by your water company

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
idahobrew
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Post Falls, Idaho
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPag View Post
We have an aquafir where I am also, its not only about sterilizing the water, its also about boiling off any mineral compounds that already exist in the water naturally, or added by your water company
The only reasoned I boiled this water was to get rid of any chlorine and that's why I boiled my tap water for the brew. I believe you want some minerals in your brew water thats why I used spring water for topping off. Trust me the tap water up here is excellent.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
pmzjr69
Recipes 

Dec 2011
North Grafton, Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Of the water taste good you are fine. No need to boil BEFORE mini mashing. HOWEVER. Using RO or distiller water and then building the water to a style is just another tiny thing you can do to make better beer.

Brew science forum Primer stickie is great
what is RO water?