Today I completed the part of the build I have be dreading most; the 6" hole in the block wall. All things considered, it wasn't horrible
, but I'm certainly glad to be done! 3.5 hours, start to finish. Came out great!
My hood design is a little different than most. In my layout, the fan will mount directly to the hood, and exhaust directly through the wall. No turns, and a total length of 8" of 6" duct. Should be pretty effective. I'm building a prototype hood out of 2" foam board next week, and will post photos when I get it installed.
The tools required for making the hole in the block - not shown is the hammer drill the bit goes in.
Unfortunately, my block is textured on the outside, so step 1 was creating a flat area with my brick hammer.
As far as I went from the outside.
Pilot holes on the inside.
Installed view - outside.
Installed view - inside. (the electrical probe is just propped in there to keep the duct round as the foam cures)