Northern Brewer Grain is not looking so good - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer Grain is not looking so good

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #121
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Annapolis, MD
Posts: 527
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts


Seems like Mr. Farley has not had the retaining class!!! I hope they can trace the crush back to the person if it is the same person and show them the door or maybe move them to a new position say custodial engineer maybe? :rocking:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #122
OG2620
 
OG2620's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Monmouth, Maine
Posts: 255
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Seriously? I've read it'll all now. It seems as though this thread should be locked now. Nothing useful is coming from further "discussion".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #123
duckmanco
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
VA
Posts: 703
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by two_one_seven View Post
What did it say on the bag?
The bag, along with the order says "crushed" right on it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #124
two_one_seven
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Dublin, OH
Posts: 709
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OG2620 View Post
Seriously? I've read it'll all now. It seems as though this thread should be locked now. Nothing useful is coming from further "discussion".
Really wow. I picture you waving your hand and telling the servant to take this one away because it's not "useful".

People get what they want out of stuff. I think the guy who had his question about his crush got something "useful" out of it.
__________________
Lick Creek Brewing Co.
accident + curiosity x repetition* = happy humans *coefficient of magic brewing stick must be applied to repetition. History of brewing in one equation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #125
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,763
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OG2620 View Post
Seriously? I've read it'll all now. It seems as though this thread should be locked now. Nothing useful is coming from further "discussion".
Well, by all means, report it to a mod if that's how you feel and you'll find out if they agree. I'm inclined to think they won't, but I don't pretend to know for sure.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #126
chris_farley
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
Already got a reply back from NB offering to send me a replacement grain bill. Great company that I'll continue to purchase from. I certainly hope they get this issue completely worked out.
Glad this got handled by CS. Obviously, it's much better for us both if we get it right the first time. We do make mistakes, and we count all of our 'goofs' (both the ones we catch in internal QC and the ones that make it to the customer). Errors are less than 1%, but IMO errors should be less than 0.1%! (At the current rate we f*** up an order almost every day and we don't want that!!) We do give feedback to the team on issues like this, but to make significant improvements we need to improve the process, not sack people for an error. If somebody makes a LOT of errors, and coaching fails, then yes, we will show them the door.

And we are improving the process substantially. For example, we recently put our mills on a preventative maintenance schedule, which actually will help some crush issues. You can't believe how much wear and tear we put on our poor little Barley Crushers. We're also in the process now of revamping the whole order picking process with an goal of lowering cost (so we can keep your costs low) and improving quality (so we don't f*** up as many orders).

I really do appreciate the feedback. Feedback will make us better!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #127
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,118
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_farley View Post
Glad this got handled by CS. Obviously, it's much better for us both if we get it right the first time. We do make mistakes, and we count all of our 'goofs' (both the ones we catch in internal QC and the ones that make it to the customer). Errors are less than 1%, but IMO errors should be less than 0.1%! (At the current rate we f*** up an order almost every day and we don't want that!!) We do give feedback to the team on issues like this, but to make significant improvements we need to improve the process, not sack people for an error. If somebody makes a LOT of errors, and coaching fails, then yes, we will show them the door.

And we are improving the process substantially. For example, we recently put our mills on a preventative maintenance schedule, which actually will help some crush issues. You can't believe how much wear and tear we put on our poor little Barley Crushers. We're also in the process now of revamping the whole order picking process with an goal of lowering cost (so we can keep your costs low) and improving quality (so we don't f*** up as many orders).

I really do appreciate the feedback. Feedback will make us better!
Cudos!
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #128
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sherpa FE's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Blairsville, Georgia
Posts: 815
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_farley View Post
Glad this got handled by CS. Obviously, it's much better for us both if we get it right the first time. We do make mistakes, and we count all of our 'goofs' (both the ones we catch in internal QC and the ones that make it to the customer). Errors are less than 1%, but IMO errors should be less than 0.1%! (At the current rate we f*** up an order almost every day and we don't want that!!) We do give feedback to the team on issues like this, but to make significant improvements we need to improve the process, not sack people for an error. If somebody makes a LOT of errors, and coaching fails, then yes, we will show them the door.

And we are improving the process substantially. For example, we recently put our mills on a preventative maintenance schedule, which actually will help some crush issues. You can't believe how much wear and tear we put on our poor little Barley Crushers. We're also in the process now of revamping the whole order picking process with an goal of lowering cost (so we can keep your costs low) and improving quality (so we don't f*** up as many orders).

I really do appreciate the feedback. Feedback will make us better!
Cmon guys, can't really do better than that! THIS is the reason I order from NB.
Great selection, easy to navigate website, and great customer support. rock on Chris!
__________________
No matter how much money you THINK you are saving by brewing beer, you are still just pissing money away

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #129
Jdm5209
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
St louis, Missouri
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa FE View Post
Cmon guys, can't really do better than that! THIS is the reason I order from NB.
Great selection, easy to navigate website, and great customer support. rock on Chris!
Just awesome. I wish NB was still my LHBS

FWIW, I just ordered my first all grain kit from NB and specifically asked for double crush for BIAB. Wasnt sure about the crush (not that I have anything to compare to) so I crushed some by hand with a rolling pin. 75% efficiency on the first go round. Seems ok, but not sure how much the hand crushing improved things.

Anyway, love me some NB.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #130
Caucasian
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Perkasie, Pa
Posts: 143
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts


Isn't this always the way it is? Complain first ask questions later? How many times do people bitch about things but don't comment when things are done right? I've never ordered from nb, but if i didn't have two lhbs within 15 mins i would.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northern brewer crush zurcj20 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 22 02-21-2012 08:32 PM
Number 8 All Grain kit from Northern Brewer slothorentropy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 09-09-2011 03:34 PM
Northern Brewer Lambic kit kpruim01 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 08-10-2010 01:46 AM
northern brewer all grain kit - patersbier nootay All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 05-03-2010 09:55 PM
Looking for Northern Indiana AG Brewer DrunkenSailor All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 09-13-2007 07:58 PM


Forum Jump